Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used or using a bra on there truck?

What are the pro's and con's

Thanks For the help !!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
<DIV>Bra's can wear on the paint thru wind vibration and also hold moisture against the paint. I had the dealer install 3M Clear Bra on my truck. So far, so good. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Hey, Every Day. For what purpose are you looking for the bra? I use the winter covers (probally not the same purpose as yours) and it tends to collect sand and salt, under neath. It will also scuff your plasticky chrome type stuff, on your front grill.
Will certainly keep the bug "splats" off the bumper/hood. If the bra is for the hood, it will keep stone chips off your hood. I have several on the top part of my hood. I have a bug deflector, which takes care of the 02 high hood raise, on the Chev.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a Colgan Custom, carbon fiber bra for my truck...I really like it!

The main reason I bought it was to cover a horse bite on the front of my hood.

Yeah, you read that right...A horse bite! It went right down to the steel. I put some touch-up paint on it, but there is no hiding it.
The hood protector part of the bra covers it completely though.

I bought the full two piece bra and really was impressed with the fit. I have received tons of compliments on how the full bra looks on the truck. It is very, very snug with absolutely no movement. I have since installed a Piaa air dam and Westin Ultimate bull bar, so the lower section no longer fits, but I use the hood protector constantly.

I remove it about every week or two to clean any debris that may get under it. There is absolutely no evidence of paint damage from it, and I've had it for roughly two years now. It also keeps the bug juice and stone chips from messing up the hood any further.

I have seen a few cars and trucks with other brands installed and the fit is nowhere as good...Including the LaBra brand.

Kevin

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the information I to want to protect the front of the truck and I think a bra is the best way to go.

Hey Fireman you mentioned the hood is covered by the bra, are you talking about along the front edge or the one that goes all the way to the winshield in a v pattern?

Thanks again to everyone.......

·
Registered
463 Posts
Every Day Diesel said:
Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the information I to want to protect the front of the truck and I think a bra is the best way to go.

Hey Fireman you mentioned the hood is covered by the bra, are you talking about along the front edge or the one that goes all the way to the winshield in a v pattern?

Thanks again to everyone.......

Just the front edge. I don't care for the ones that go to the windshield at all!

Here's a good price on 'em w/free shipping:

http://www.bestdarnparts.com/colganbra.html

Kevin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Every Day, Fireman is correct as it applies to the Colgan brand bra. I have had the La Bra brand which was not a good fit and the quality was lacking. The Colgan bra fits like a glove and there isn't any slack for moving about in the wind. I only use the sport bra which covers only the leading edge of the hood. I have had one on my 2002HD for two years now and there isn't any sign of wear or any other negative effects. I just ordered a new one for my 2004HD LT Duramax Crew Cab. Colgan is the best in the bra department, in my opinion. I can hardly wait until I get my truck so I can install it along with the new Westin brand Platinum step bars, Husky mud flaps, and Century Brand Tonneau cover. I have all of the above on my 2002 and they make for one beautiful truck. Mine is a Black Beauty. Colgan is the best by far in the bra department.

Reggie

·
Registered
162 Posts
Max Owner said:
Hey, Every Day. For what purpose are you looking for the bra? I use the winter covers (probally not the same purpose as yours) and it tends to collect sand and salt, under neath. It will also scuff your plasticky chrome type stuff, on your front grill.
Will certainly keep the bug "splats" off the bumper/hood. If the bra is for the hood, it will keep stone chips off your hood. I have several on the top part of my hood. I have a bug deflector, which takes care of the 02 high hood raise, on the Chev.

Won't the winter covers, or the least the grill cover, potentially overheat the rad above freezing? The bottom might not tend to keep the heat in like the grill cover.Edited by: SonnyBear

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have been very happy with the Colgan bras. Our first was for a T-Bird. Then when we got a new 2000 Chevy pickup and we bought another. We were able to interchange it between the pickup and our new 2001 tahoe. Since the first two were so great we ordered one for the new 2003 Chevy HD Duramax. Well, not a good choice if you go faster than 60 mph.
It would flap so bad that it actually started banging against the hood. We had to get off the freeway and remove it. The manufactuer was great they tired to work with us. E-mailing pictures back and forth. We sent it back at their request, as they modified it by adding new hooks on each side of the hood latch. Now you could drive 65 without it banging the hood but still flapping. Unfortuantley we only put them on when we are driving long distance and the average speed is 70 to 80 mph. It's now in the garage in it's box and we have a factory GM bug deflector (deflects zbugs straight to the windshield). Can't win...........but no chips.
RD

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Hey, Sonny Bear. My covers only see winter time use. Just my own experience with (Bras) I know it is not the same application, as Every Day is talking about.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Riverdude, it sounds like I might have a problem with the Colgan bra with the 2004 truck hood configuration. It worked well with my 2002, but if you had a problem with your 2003, it doesn't bode well for me. That's to bad because the Colgan brand is a good quality product.

Reggie

Riverdude said:
We have been very happy with the Colgan bras. Our first was for a T-Bird. Then when we got a new 2000 Chevy pickup and we bought another. We were able to interchange it between the pickup and our new 2001 tahoe. Since the first two were so great we ordered one for the new 2003 Chevy HD Duramax. Well, not a good choice if you go faster than 60 mph.
It would flap so bad that it actually started banging against the hood. We had to get off the freeway and remove it. The manufactuer was great they tired to work with us. E-mailing pictures back and forth. We sent it back at their request, as they modified it by adding new hooks on each side of the hood latch. Now you could drive 65 without it banging the hood but still flapping. Unfortuantley we only put them on when we are driving long distance and the average speed is 70 to 80 mph. It's now in the garage in it's box and we have a factory GM bug deflector (deflects zbugs straight to the windshield). Can't win...........but no chips.
RD

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hey Every Day,

This is the hood protector on my truck...

Kevin

·
Registered
576 Posts
I use Clear Guard (similar to the 3M clear cover)

www.clear-guard.com

He also has some very cool headlight covers that are blue. At 1st they were to 'ricer' for me but I grew to like them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts