Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BP-Amoco appears to be very non-customer oriented as they are not answering thier e-mail and the folks at the station are less than knowledgable. I would like to drop more money in thier pockets but refrain from doing so because no one can tell me why I should pay more for the "Premier" diesel.

Does any one out there know what differentiates BP-Amoco's "Premier" diesel from the standard #2 other than about $.08 cents per gallonl? I did try it and noticed that it was very clear and the yellow dye appeared to be absent. Isn't that dye supposed to be in there by law?Edited by: BKG-22

·
Registered
91 Posts
BKF-22

The BP/Amoco has the Premier or Surpreme Diesel that is supposed to be a premium fuel with a cetane of not less than 50. Yes it is very clear, this is ok as only off road fuel has to be dyed. Actually the Premier or Supreme is hard to find when the BP/Amoco stations are near other brand stations do to the competive nature of the beast, they will then offer only #2 do to the lower price of the #2. At least that is the way they do it in the Toledo, OH area.

Engineer Bill

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have had the same experience with customer service. When I called I wanted to know if they could tell me who sells their premier diesel in the upper midwest. They told me they have no such list and therefore could not help me!! I explained to them that this was very poor business!!! Here I was going to great lengths to ask them how I could purchase their product and their reply was " I dunno!!!"

I have a BP station very near to my house that sells Premier diesel. I was buying it for a while and then I switched to Mobil regular #2. This Mobil station is a big diesel depot that sells A LOT of diesel. I am confident that the Mobil is the freshest fuel I can get in my area. The Premier just doesn't have the volume and so I wonder about its freshness. I also noticed no real performance difference, but the Premier does smoke less on cold start-ups ( below 20 deg.). The real advantage to the Premier is that it uses a very comprehensive additive package that enhances lubricity, corrosion protection, etc.... It is also not "winter blended" with #1 diesel like most of our northern fuels. If I was convinced that the Premier was fresh and that there was a good filter at the pump maintained regularly, I would definitely use it. SPICER

·
Registered
612 Posts
Locally (Raleigh,NC) I buy most of my fuel from a BP station. They only offer regular diesel ... have never run premium in my truck, would be interesting to do do.

Jim

·
Registered
132 Posts
DITTO Mac!!!
---BTW--I've never heard anyone mention Lucas injector cleaner and lubricator on this forum. I've used this stuff in class 8 diesels for years with good results.( including a N-14 855 ci. 500 hp. Cummins which uses an electronic high pressure fuel system) I,ve been thinking about adding some of this, along with the 405, to make sure the lubrication of the fuel system is top notch. What do you think?---------Just a passing thought-------Phil

·
Registered
841 Posts
This thread got me thinking so I stopped by my local BP station today to ask a few questions. This particular BP sells the Premier. I used to buy here but then decided to try a high volume Mobil truck stop right next door. I don't notice any significant performance difference between the two fuels and I always use Primrose at fillup.
Basically my concern is fresh fuel with decent filtration. I asked the BP manager how much fuel he sells....He said they sell about 20,000 gals. per month and fill their underground tank 4-5 times per month. I then asked about filtration at the pumps, and he kind of had a glazed look and wasn't sure of what type or rating the filters have, but said that an independent guy services the pumps. I asked how often the filters are replaced and He said probably when they plug......to me he might as well have said never!!!
The Mobil station is a high volume diesel depot. They have told me that they refill the tanks 2-3 times per week and change the filters every couple of months.....Hmmmmm, what would George do? I do have a Mega filter......I know what George would do, He would have it analyzed, but I can't justify $60 to test somebody's fuel, and the results are only accurate for today, who knows how clean the fuel is the next day?
SPICER

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's one of the problems I have with paying extra for Premium diesel. Do you really know what your getting? I'd rather have clean regular diesel than dirty premium. I don't think the guy running the station would know the details about the pump - that's done by the franchise or someone else I suppose.

This gets me to thinking about the situation with gassers. I know so many people that think Premium gas is better for a car designed to run on Regular Unleaded. They just assume that Premium has more "Power." Granted Premium Diesel is supposed to be low sulfur, which is better for the environment. But, what else does it really provide and how can you be sure a particular brand has those benefits in their mixture. Ah, too much to think about this early in the day! (I see a synthetic vs. dino debate brewing...)

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I would really be surprized if they are giving you so called Premium Diesel. The only premium is what you are paying for getting diesel at other than a truck stop.
The title is probably there to make the auto diesel owners feel better about the ditry fuel they are buying for the car.

I would look for volume of diesel...the more they sell less like to...hell I don't know
I just like volume sales rather than diesel sitting for months.

Also who knows if they are putting in the additives that hurt our injectors and calling it premium.

·
Registered
38 Posts
From the Sunoco website:

Premium Diesel<A name="Premium Diesel"></A>

The National Conference of Weights and Measures (NCWM) has developed guidelines for properties that describe a premium diesel fuel. In order to label a diesel fuel as premium, the fuel must meet specific requirements for two of the following five properties: low temperature operability, cetane number, fuel injector cleanliness, energy content and thermal stability. The benefits of higher cetane and low temperature operability performance are described above. A fuel with higher energy content can provide more power and improved fuel economy. Diesel fuels with detergent additives maintain injector cleanliness, which can provide reduced emissions and improved fuel economy in some engines. Diesel fuels that maintain thermal stability prevent fuel degradation and formation of sediment and sludge, which can plug fuel filters and degrade engine performance. Sunoco has offered Premium Diesel in select areas since 1998.

I don't like the sounds of "must meet TWO of the FIVE properties"

That makes it sound like more of a marketing plan than anything else.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Marathon labels their diesel as "Diesel +". I have always assumed the "+" means premium, but can't find any information on the web. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
turboburge said:
From the Sunoco website:

Premium Diesel<A name="Premium Diesel"></A>

The National Conference of Weights and Measures (NCWM) has developed guidelines for properties that describe a premium diesel fuel. In order to label a diesel fuel as premium, the fuel must meet specific requirements for two of the following five properties: low temperature operability, cetane number, fuel injector cleanliness, energy content and thermal stability. The benefits of higher cetane and low temperature operability performance are described above. A fuel with higher energy content can provide more power and improved fuel economy. Diesel fuels with detergent additives maintain injector cleanliness, which can provide reduced emissions and improved fuel economy in some engines. Diesel fuels that maintain thermal stability prevent fuel degradation and formation of sediment and sludge, which can plug fuel filters and degrade engine performance. Sunoco has offered Premium Diesel in select areas since 1998.

I don't like the sounds of "must meet TWO of the FIVE properties"

That makes it sound like more of a marketing plan than anything else.

Happened to be in Boerne TX last week and seen Premium diesel near Leon Creek. It was priced competitively w/ the exxon #2 next door and we filled up. Can't say there was any benefits tho. I believe it was a citgo but not certain. Personally, found the best running in my truck to be planin ol' #2 Mobil. Tanked up in ElPaso at Petro II travel center stocking mobile and seen better mileage. Again the next day in CA and and seen some of the best mileage.Edited by: ShumDit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts