Diesel Place banner

Box deeper TROUBLE for 5th Wheel Rv's

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  caissiel 
#1 · (Edited)
The new GM box is almost 6" deeper and a 1500 2WD top of the Box is now the same height as a Classc 4 X 4 HD. Ford and Dodge are a problem to fit 5th Wheels under and now GM has coppied them. I feel that the designers have done it again and copied the others without thinking of us RV owners. The only 4 x 4 short box HD trucks that could fit well under a 5th Wheel RV was the GM and now I have completrely lost confidence on getting a new model and will have to keep my 98 even longer until these designers come up with something worthwhile. Maybe they don't want us to pull 5th wheels with 4 x 4. Then the RV industry better get busy making noise about it. Whats your comments on this problem.

#2 ·
I also noticed the new halftons have a higher bedrail.The new 2500HD will probably follow suit leaving it about worthless as far as fifthwheels go.I guess if you took the box off and built a custom one that could solve the problem.You gotta wonder what some of these Detroit designers are thinking,just bought a 2007Classic GMC and they put little cubbyholes in the lower dash like they run out of fresh ideas.They put a tan colored headliner in with dark pewter interior,one size fits all?Also left gaps in the front fenderwell bumper area so mud and dirty water can fly off tires on to front bumper,just plain stupid.Could not really find any design bloopers on the 2002 I traded in,guess I should have looked the truck over better before trading.

#3 ·
well... its not a big deal... you can go toa rv dealer or a trailer store an get a different nose or whatever they call it it'll rise the trailer up a lil too but you can get um in different sizes........ I installed a different one for a friend.... it was a longer one cause they got a short bed an was worried bout hittin' the back of the cab

#5 ·
Rodeo_Joe;1572404; said:
well... its not a big deal... you can go toa rv dealer or a trailer store an get a different nose or whatever they call it it'll rise the trailer up a lil too but you can get um in different sizes........ I installed a different one for a friend.... it was a longer one cause they got a short bed an was worried bout hittin' the back of the cab
I gotta agree, maybe there is more going on here that I just don't understand.

If this is truely an issue, can't the hitch mfgr.s make the in-bed hitch a little taller?

I'm sure they aren't wanting to see the 5th-wheel business go away. One trip to the dunes and you'll know. . . trailers are getting bigger. People want to be comfortable and with the newer breed of trucks they can haul these big trailers. Ford's new Super-Duty's are all about hauling. . . can't believe any of them have any thoughts of not getting this business. They may not be looking to support you if you put an 8" lift on it and want to tow a 5er but, otherwise. . . I don't see any issues.

#6 ·
The trailer manufacturer's need to step up and change the front frame dimensions on the trailers. You shouldn't need to lift a trailer to pull it with a stock truck. Many of the current trailers have to be lifted to pull behind the GMT800's There is no excuse for that. And as long as I have there attention....some of us will pull "1/2 ton trailers" with real trucks. :rant:

#7 ·
The higher up the trucks get the higher up the trailer has got to get in order for the trailer to ride level putting equal weight on each trailer axle.The hitch in the truck and the pinbox on the trailer just is not going to change that.The clearance between the top of box rail and the trailer should be no less than 6 inches.Come on guys,use your noodles!

#8 ·
Saywhat is correct, it is a big deal. I'm running slightly high on the nose now just to get 5", and I have a ding on each side of the rail. The hitch is as high as it will go, and any more adjustment to the pinbox puts the nose higher and puts more stress on the rear trailer axle.

#9 ·
This is a pet peeve of mine. I have a bone stock hight 2500HD 4X4 Chevy, and I am almost too high. My 5er has the flipped axles from the factory, and I am just level, and just have enough bed clearance.

The problem as I see, we as 5er want too much. Walk in bedrooms, 7' ceilings, has to be under 13' tall, etc....What to do.

#10 ·
SAYWHAT;1572349; said:
I also noticed the new halftons have a higher bedrail.The new 2500HD will probably follow suit leaving it about worthless as far as fifthwheels go.I guess if you took the box off and built a custom one that could solve the problem.You gotta wonder what some of these Detroit designers are thinking,just bought a 2007Classic GMC and they put little cubbyholes in the lower dash like they run out of fresh ideas.They put a tan colored headliner in with dark pewter interior,one size fits all?Also left gaps in the front fenderwell bumper area so mud and dirty water can fly off tires on to front bumper,just plain stupid.Could not really find any design bloopers on the 2002 I traded in,guess I should have looked the truck over better before trading.
My 04 has this feature as well. :duh:

#11 ·
jmpulse;1575286; said:
This is a pet peeve of mine. I have a bone stock height 2500HD 4X4 Chevy, and I am almost too high. My 5er has the flipped axles from the factory, and I am just level, and just have enough bed clearance.
This brings up more to my :rant: Trailer axles should be cambered. Flipping them over is a :badidea: All the idiots building the trailers need to do is add the other 6 or 10 inches of height in the frame between the deck and the bunk. Problem solved.... And as a bonus, the center of gravity remains lower where it belongs and the first step isn't 16 inches off the ground.

#12 ·
I'm kind of new here but I have been lurking for a while. For this reason I don't like to start off with a negative but I have to agree with SayWhat and ct0218 and others who believe this is a serious issue.

I am in the process of buying a truck and a trailer. I put off buying last year because I liked what I saw in the GMT900 specs. If the bedrail height is as high as reported here it is a deal breaker because it will not allow me the required clearance above the bedrails and it will not allow me to tow my trailer of choice level -which is a requirement.

I have been urged to buy a 4WD over my original 2WD choice and I am considering it. I believe the 4WD is taller than the 2WD which just makes the problem worse.

Is there a place I can find the height of the 3500 HD bed rails from the ground or do I have to wait until one can be physically measured? MY dealer just called and is willing to measure in-stock LD trucks claiming they will be the same as HD models. Is this true?

I disagree with the idea of modifying the trailer because the class of trailer I am considering is already vey tall (12' 6") and modifying the axles to raise the trailer will increase that as well as the centre of gravity. This could open a whole new argument that I don't want to get into. Bottom line is I will have to find a truck that will properly fit under the trailer I have chosen. I hope that is a 3500 CC Silverado or Sierra.

#13 ·
Never had a problem, my 06 Dodge was 4x4 and never an issue. Now I can see if you are looking at some of the older 5er's. As far as 4x4 being higher, my 2wd sits and the same height as my friends 06 4x4. If I hook to his trailer after he unhooks I do not have to raise or lower the trailer at all.

#14 ·
4 x 4 are 4 to 6 Inches higher then 2WD trucks due to required ground clearance. And with all my measurements the GM 6.5Ft box is the only one we can haul 5th wheels like I do. There are sliding hitches available for others. In addition the higher the box the higher the front of the trailer, and we will be over 12' 6". A Friend increased the height of his trailer to match his 82 model 4 x 4 chev. and now his total trailer height has been a problem. I feel the trailers are designed for 2WD trucks. And High boxes creates a problem for most 4 x 4 trucks. The new 99 fords were a real problem when they came out and a kit was available then to lower the rear which sure did not look great. RVers will have to help in the design of these trucks. For me I will always need a 4 x 4 to pull my trailer because I do a lot of field parking and when wet it ruins the grass when 2wd only is used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.