Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, going to pick up a plow this week. Finally narrowed my search down to a Boss Superduty or a Western Pro Plow, both steel straight blades. Boss is about another $300 but they have a lot of dealers near me. One is less than five minutes down the road and there are another 4 or so within a 25 min drive. Also there is one near my parents house in PA if I need it up there. Western has one dealer near me

Dealer support seems a big plus to me. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
unless your stocking spare parts JIC i go for service. wouldnt you goto DMaxAlliTech even if he charged morre??? its all about the service

BTW what quote did you get from boss?? never got one from my bud and he went to the islands till thanksgiving

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
The Boss is a nice plow and a bit on the heavy side. Especially the triple edge. The plow itself looks heavy duty compared to the others. 11 gauge moldboard and crossbracing. Eight footer is 878 pounds. A Fisher EZ-V weighs 70 lbs less.

Boss has nice lights and a nice easy hookup. Western and Fisher I believe are now the same company. I here they make both plows in the same plant.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chevmeister, yeah I'm pretty much going with Boss because of service, just wanted to see if someone would chime in with something I didn't think of. Got a quote from the dealer in Trenton, guy seemed pretty cool, $3490 for the 8' straight blade and $3525 for the 8.5'. I'm also going to get the handheld control for $43. He said installs were backed up to mid December
so I will definitely due it myself. Didn't ask if they would cause of liability and I kinda want to due it myself just cause I like to know where everything is when something breaks.

Hoot, those weights are for the V- plows right? Specs say 8 foot straight weighs in at 756 lb. Don't think I will plow enough to justify a V.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
That weight is for the trip edge plow. The bottom cutting edge is hinged and sprung so it flips back if you hit a manhole cover.... without tripping the moldboard.

·
Registered
69 Posts
BOSS BOSS BOSS don't spend your money on anything less. I bought an 8' SD straight for 3177.00 with the handheld controller. I saved 250.00 by putting it on myself and certainly did a better job (everything got an ample coat of neversieze). There is nothing to it, it is the second Boss I've owned and I wouldn't buy anything else. I've had Westerns, Meyers, I even have a Blizzard and I still like the Boss. Don't be afraid to go 2 to 3 hours away to save a few hundred bucks, Boss dealers make money selling new plows, cutting edges, those stupid shoes, and ELECTRICAL PARTS for western, fisher, and meyer plows. GET THE HINT, you only need to visit the dealer again because you need a new cutting edge (they are heavy). For a quiet plowing experience try a urethane cutting edge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts