Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the injector stories, I got curious and searched the Bosch web site trying to find out what their position is regarding diesel fuel additives. Specifically, if they choose also chose demulsifiers or not like GM recommends. I couldn't find anything which lists ANY recommended fuel additives, but was wondering if anyone else has read / heard what Bosch says ?????

·
Registered
540 Posts
mnstr_fx said:
After reading all the injector stories, I got curious and searched the Bosch web site trying to find out what their position is regarding diesel fuel additives. Specifically, if they choose also chose demulsifiers or not like GM recommends. I couldn't find anything which lists ANY recommended fuel additives, but was wondering if anyone else has read / heard what Bosch says ?????

I'm sorry, I don't understand what your saying. Are you saying Bosch recommends demulsifiers?? But don't pick a brand??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, That is the point.

I'm not sure what Bosch is saying ...... Their website does not list which additive type (emulsifier / demulsifier) they recommend or if they recommend any additive at all. I know the GM stance on this subject, but they are just the truck manufacturer, not the fuel injector manufacturer.

Anyone know what Bosch says / recommends for their diesel systems?????

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
It is probably the liability thing which is keeping them from suggesting additive type and brand.

But you do have a very valid point Bosch should let us know what works.

Isn't Bosch on the new Dodge? And I am sure they have marine applications also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just after I bought my truck, I called back east and talked to a Bosch tech to ask him that very question, "What does Bosch recommend?". He stood on top of the fence and said officially that Bosch doesn't recommend any additive. He did add that there are some really good additives out there, (hint hint), but would not say which ones or what type.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Of course he would not....in Bosch's eyes there is nothing wrong with there injectors. By telling us we need to use additives for the "Injectors" to work properly would be crazy. In there eyes the injectors work fine....and the only reason for using additives would be for a anti-gel not for injector life.

Real world, you need additives if you live/drive anywere the temps are freezing.

Liability, Liability, oh did I say Liability.

·
Registered
693 Posts
NoWake200 said:
Of course he would not....in Bosch's eyes there is nothing wrong with there injectors. By telling us we need to use additives for the "Injectors" to work properly would be crazy. In there eyes the injectors work fine....and the only reason for using additives would be for a anti-gel not for injector life.

Real world, you need additives if you live/drive anywere the temps are freezing.

Liability, Liability, oh did I say Liability.
Actually, the problem is with the EPA - the vehicle must meet emission standards as designed on available fuel for a specified period of time. You'll note that the GM TSB doesn't really recommend anything either - just a broad statement that a lubricity additive will increase the life of fuel system components.

If an additive was necessary in order to run reliability to xxx miles and meet federal emissions along the way - then the federal government would require them (gm, bosch, etc.) to buy it for you...

jeff

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Friend of mine works for Dupont. In their quest for producing fuel additives they found that the best additives they were testing (not marketed products) produced toxic emissions but dramatically increased engine life.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I just dont see how 1.6oz of 405 can do all that it says per 25 gallons of fuel.

It just seems like such a small amount. How can it possible be doing anything?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Marvel Mystery Oil. Havn't you seen the Wizzard of OZ?

·
Registered
958 Posts
It doesn't take much. I use Gunk diesel treatment, just a splash in each tank fillup. I go through at least 400 gallons of diesel per month in my van, and about one bottle of treatment. The '97 6.5 diesel went 500,000+ miles on the original injector pump, and I'm not positive but I think it's on the original injectors.. If not, they were replaced with the pump.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
problemchild said:
I just dont see how 1.6oz of 405 can do all that it says per 25 gallons of fuel.

It just seems like such a small amount. How can it possible be doing anything?
My brother used to haul gas. After making a 5000 gal or so dump he added about a quart of additive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts