Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my truck about a week and a half ago, and while climbing steep/semi-steep hills, I experience what feels like fuel cut. The truck's acceleration stops like I hit a brick wall and then resumes where I left off when I let off and then resume. This is normally climbing in 3rd gear at about 2200 to 2600 Rpm. Any Ideas? The truck is bone stock (so far) and got about 16MPG on the first tank. Thanks.
Carl

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Is the check engine light on? Have you checked it for codes? A faulty wastegate actuator can do that, or the intake air temps could have gotten to high and it pulled boost and fuel away to bring them down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No check engine lights are on. The intake temp or a temp issue could be it because I feel that the cooling system could be inadequate and I smell coolant every now and then in the cab after driving.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Could be the lift pump not functioning. Check FAQ's at top of list of threads in the 6.5 Forum.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Make sure the check engine light works.... My bro's 95 dually was burnt out from day 1...Light should be on with key on and go out after engine is started.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
huisman-thanks, I will check the lift pump this weekend and also be checking to make sure the intake is possibly not clogged and raising temps too much.

2 new things that may/may not attribute. When coasting to a stop, if I put it in second and do not fully stop and then get right back into the throttle, I sometimes get no power and some "bucking" with acceleration until I clutch it and bring it back into gear. Also, noticed a "steam" type of smoke coming lightly out of the oil fill (with the cap off) and out of the coolant tank (with cap off) after driving normal for about 20 minutes. I think the t-stat is on the way out and will be picking up a new one, but wonder if this is the only problem. I recently switched to synthetic oil after reading many people on here running it with no problems.

The check engine light does work and comes on when the key is in the ignition pre-startup.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Does the coolant hose get hard after start-up?

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
use the diagnositc check in FAQ yours can be done with a paper clip, to see if any codes are present,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't even think to run for codes since the light wasn't on, but I'll give it a whirl seeing as how easy it looks to be from the FAQ.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mine will do the same thing if coolant temp gets above 215 or so. Mostly happens when pulling the overloaded cattle trailer. But I have had it happen in AZ climing a mountain thru superior unloaded.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine is fully unloaded, with water temps never going above prolly 195* according to my guage column. Gonna run a compression check and also check the radiator pipe. Hopefully not a head gasket. :eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did the lift pump check today and the test showed the pump was dead per the FAQ. However, when removed and hooked up to a 12V source, it functioned perfectly and walked across the floor (should get 2 and have races ):h ). Went back to the truck and re-installed it. Truck would not fire. Just cranked. So I figured I actually killed it once I had it out. Went back to the drawing board, pulled out the electrical schematic and traced it all the way back to the fuel pump relay. $14.59 later, the truck fires and doesn't show any of the previous signs of hesitation. Still waiting to see if there are other issues, a compression test willl follow soon to determine if in fact I have a blown head gasket. Radiator pipe has not showed any signs of hardness.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
The relay only allows the pump to run with the starter, you also need to replace the OPS located on the L/R of the block.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts