Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did an air pressure test have a big leak. can feel lot of air coming out back driver side of turbo . Can't feel anything along intake from front. Would it be the intake to turbo clamp? any ideas

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Did you have a leak then did the pressure test ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
replaced intercooler, blue silicone hoses that were cut then did a leak test to make sure everything was ok. Last summer when towing could only get 18 psi boost and sometimes a deep throaty sound when full throttle. thinking maybe had leak before hitting the deer.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Ok, so where did you plumb into to pressure test ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
at the 90 coming off the turbo on the drivers side. Capped the turbo and put air and guage in 90 going to intercooler

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Are you sure you are not leaking where you hooked up ? With the dog house off you should be able to feel around the 90 to see if it is leaking there. Otherwise everything else is front/passenger with the intake-egr-Y bridge. If your up-pipes are leaking you should see black soot around where they hook up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not the up pipes, not leaking at 90 or cap. Good flow coming out down the driver side of turbo low. Can't get my hand in far enough to feel where from. Will I have to pull turbo to figure out. leak is big enough that guage will not show pressure with regulator at 20 psi ?

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I would not be pulling the turbo right now. I would get a automotive stethoscope and start at intercooler out and check everything to the Y-bridge.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it's got to be bottom front of turbo connect to intake . where else could it be? This is my first time dealing with a turbo. Thanks for the help will check it out more tomorrow. going to be a long night have 20lbs of pulled pork on the webber should be done 4 to 6 am

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thinking something is mucked up inside turbo, no air passes through turbo and maybe there is a crack somewhere.. was unable to determine source of leak with a stethoscope. The hot side pipe hit the turbo outlet hard enough to cut the hose but i did not think it would damage the turbo. The only place I can feel the air is along driver side back of turbo.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
What ? Alright, either I am stupid and cannot make sense of what you are trying to say or you are not correctly understanding how the turbo works.

Are you trying to blow air through the turbo ? Have you seen this video ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do not think you are stupid. I think you probably know more about these vans than most out there. This is my first attempt at working on a turbo I have a lot to learn appreciate all your help. Have seen the vid and that is why I did the test before driving the truck after repair. Stopped by a local diesel place that does turbos and they thought something was wrong with the turbo. They thought I need to pull it and inspect turbo.

I can not feel any air coming out up top by y bridge only down on back side of turbo driver side . can't feel any air up top or other side from back. I'm talking a good flow of air (put your' hand there and no question .

Thak you for your help

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
After the Y-bridge you have the intake manifold clam shells. PCV hoses still attached ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PCV hose is still attached and egr cooler still on with a blocker plate.

Was able to squirt soapy water from the front, got a small leak top front right y bridge. I would guess there is a bigger leak on the back either side down low. Wish I would have found this when the whole front was off. And I thought I was almost done!

·
Registered
3,506 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far the turbos out. The wheel wobbles back and forth not in and out. The guy that did the cp3 back when didn't put the nuts on the bottom back of the y bridge and silicone it.
Is there anything that could have happened to the turbo that would cause air to leak out the bottom of the front side. I put a wire with a ribbon on and had air flow drivers side up to the oil pipe starting from the back and no indication of air forward. Will be taking out the y bridge, cooler and intake pipe tomorrow. Would like to do the egr delete pipe but I have to find someone to turn off the grid heater.
Duramax tuner did the egr disable but won't do the grid heater because of new restrictions.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Since you have the turbo out I would go ahead and rebuild it. Clean up the hot side really good and a thin layer of nickel anti-seize on all moving parts on the hot side. Maybe even install a upgraded compressor wheel. Also a Turbo Performance Products turbo sock works far better than that finger cutting metal heat shield.

With the turbo out have you pressured it back up again ? That will make it a lil easier to look over the clam shells for leaks.

Definitely get that Y-bridge out and clean out all that silicone. I hate when shops do shoddy work like that. You could still take out all the EGR stuff and just use blocker plates on the intake.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
both sides leak like there's no seal. Hopefully, I'll have everything out this afternoon

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Both sides of what leak ?

I was just thinking if you pressured the system back up again with the turbo removed it might be easier to pinpoint intake/Y-bridge/clam shells, etc. Did the intake get hit at the intake heater connection by the fan shroud ? If it got hit hard enough I wonder if something got broken from intake heater to clam shells ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The clamshells are leaking on the back edges.(clamshells go into the heads right?) Turbo does not leak as best I can tell. Did not get the egr or y bridge out yet. Do you have to separate the egr from the intake pipe or will it come out together? I'll get it out tomorrow. Done for the day.
Again thank you for the help If I can figure out how to get programmed I would like to go with the delete tube. can't see putting all that back in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts