Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’m pretty new to the 6.5 world and am looking for some insight.
A few months ago I bought a 1995 Chevy K1500 with a turbo 6.5 - I love it!
Only thing is, I think I’ve got a boost issue. At the start, I couldn’t hear my turbo spool, it felt gutless, struggled going up steep inclines and puffed out black smoke from the exhaust. I would also have an engine light pop up during heavy acceleration (usually at highway speeds) and sometimes idling, but would clear when letting off the gas or pressing it down more. After doing some online reading, I replaced my Wastegate Solenoid. This seemed to solve the issue, because she ran like a dream!
However, after driving her for a few hours, the issue came back. It seemed like the boost would come and go.
For ships and gigs, I replaced the solenoid again - but this time it didn’t improve anything. The boost seems to cut in and out at highway speeds, but I can hear it spool at low speeds when I drive through town. I don’t have guages, so I can’t see turbo pressure.
Maybe the vacuum pump is my next step, or the turbo itself?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Administrator
22,667 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

Check for any codes and post them here.
Check your exhaust system ( pre-Turbo) for any leaks ( manifold, crossover, etc)

Reactions: macdaddyof9

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Here is a thread from the 6.5 FAQ sticky on how to check codes. The 6.5 FAQ sticky is a good pace for answers to many questions.

• Helpful
Reactions: OkDually
1 - 3 of 3 Posts