Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so maybe this isn't the best forum to put this in (moderators, move it if you must), but has anyone seen there fuel guage give bogus read outs? I get 200 miles on the first 1/4 tank and about 200 on the next 3/4 tank. I noticed this shortly after I got the truck about 16 months ago. Thanks to some comments on the other TDP forum, I took the truck in to have it "calibrated". The fuel sensor was replaced at that time. Over the past few months it has gotten progressively worse. Its not a "bad broke" situation, but a high dollar unit like this truck ought to be a little more accurate than this! BTW I have the 02 so I don't have the neat read outs that the 03 & 04's have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Almost every vehicle I have owned (including my '03 GMC) have done that.

Since you know your truck and approximate consumption/gauge reading, is it really a problem???

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yup they all do it to an extent, it's been my personal experience that it will happen much earlier and more severely if you are in the habit of topping off your tank after it clicks off.. With my '99 1/2ton I used to think it was cool to squeeze an extra gallon into the filler neck until I realized that my gas gauge was getting more and more screwed every time I did it. Now I just let it click off and hang up the pump and my fuel gauge is fairly accurate, for the most part, although I don't trust it when it gets close to empty. Edited by: Camstyn

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just got my sender/sensor unit replaced in my 04 a few weeks ago. The gage would never drop below 3/4 tank. I ended up putting 20+ gallons in which made me feel really good that I stopped as it was a long way home still. Wouldn't have made it on the 6 gallons or so left. Since the truck was so new I am still getting use to it's mileage on a tank.

Works like a champ now. I don't fill till I see fuel but try to round up to a decent number for accounting purposes in the bank account. Usually just a squeeze more than when it clicks off. Didn't get any feedback from the dealer other than they replaced the part.

cmc

·
Registered
463 Posts
Mitchagain said:
OK, so maybe this isn't the best forum to put this in (moderators, move it if you must), but has anyone seen there fuel guage give bogus read outs? I get 200 miles on the first 1/4 tank and about 200 on the next 3/4 tank. I noticed this shortly after I got the truck about 16 months ago. Thanks to some comments on the other TDP forum, I took the truck in to have it "calibrated". The fuel sensor was replaced at that time. Over the past few months it has gotten progressively worse. Its not a "bad broke" situation, but a high dollar unit like this truck ought to be a little more accurate than this! BTW I have the 02 so I don't have the neat read outs that the 03 & 04's have.

Mine does the same thing...Makes me think I'm getting about 60 mpg for the first 1/4 tank, then getting about 5 mpg for the last 3/4's. lol

I'm kinda used to it now, but I wish it was accurate.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, looks like me and mine are normal and I should live with it. don't have to like it, but gotta live with it.

I have been filling at under the 3/4 mark and I have been around 15-16 mpg depending on how many rice burners I think need a a quick education!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts