Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I understand the theory of using fishing line or dental floss as a sort of saw to get the moldings off, but do you need to heat them up first? What about any dirt or grime that has collected behing the moldings, will that scratch the paint while your taking them off? I have never done this sort of thing before, but those moldings HAVE to go. Is there any advice you guys can give a rookie before I screw up the job big time???

Is this really an easy job or should I pursue a body shop to take them off for me? If so what do you think it might cost?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
If you heat them up with a hair dryer or a heat gun, they will peel off fairly easy. If you pull slow and steady and have someone helping you holding the heat, you can get them off with very little glue residue left behind.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I just grabbed mine and pulled them off with my hands

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just use the floss to get one corner loose, then pull 'em off the rest of the way with your hands. I was amazed at how cleanly they came off. If you can heat 'em up a little they will be easier..

·
Registered
234 Posts
Agree with above. For the mouldind I used the fishing line just to get a corner started and then pulled them off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone. I will get out there this weekend and try a yank or two. I feel better about it now!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
heat gun is the best because the double sided tape comes off with the moldings instead of just sticking to the truck making more work

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just can't believe how easy this was. It took less than 30 minutes to get all four moldings and the 4x4 decals off. It was cold out (32 degrees) and I just grabbed the wifes hair dryer and got one end of the moldings hot and grabbed it and pulled slowly down the entire length and they came right off. In fact the passenger side actually "popped" off, didn't even have to bend it!

The real surprise was how much crap had already collected behind the moldings. I know we get a lot of road grime and grit here in Central Oregon, but it was amazing how thick and compact the crud was.

Thanks much to all those that gave their input, truck looks AWESOME without all that crap hanging on the sides! Now I just need to get it washed so I can get some pics posted!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts