Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience using a 2500HD DMax 2WD on a boat ramp pulling a heavy boat out? I'm considering a boat when fully loaded including trailer with a weight of 14K. How big of a problem will I have getting up the ramp? Am I totally screwed or can I make this work?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well, this may not help, but...I've pulled out boats weighing nearly 10k with my half ton. It's a 4WD, but I never used it on the ramp. Of course, it would depend on the grade, and how wet or slick it is. I would guess with that much tongue weight on the hitch, your truck would do just fine.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
X2
Maybe get some traction boards or 4'x1' heavy rudder mat to stick under the tires if you do have problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We shall see!:ro) Before I even attempt it I'm thinkin I'll put on a set of Bridgestone Revo A/T's , cant decide between the 265/75/16 and 285/75/16. Need to find out more about rubbing problems (or any other problems for that matter) with the 285's

·
Registered
188 Posts
It all depends on the ramp, trailer and boat. In most cases it will not be a problem.
But 14 k is a heavy boat. If the weight of the boat is causing lift on the rear wheels you will have a problem.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
It all depends on the ramp, trailer and boat. In most cases it will not be a problem.
But 14 k is a heavy boat. If the weight of the boat is causing lift on the rear wheels you will have a problem.
bcserl is correct, not to scare you but I have needed to use the 4X4 pulling my 4,500lbs boat out a few time. But the heavier the boat the lass you probably would need to use it. More weight on the wheels equals more traction.

And you never would want any lift on the tongue...ever! Tongue weight is VERY important. But if the trailer and boat was set up correctly this will not be a problem.

What kind of boat do you have?

Good luck and I can not wait for the warm weather.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
When I had my '98 C2500 (good 'ol 5.7), pulling my friends 18' Wellcraft out of the water at Lake Travis in Austin, TX was fun. There the ramps are very steep and usually wet from others, so we would load all the friend up in the bed of the truck to help with traction and all went well. Had no problems at Lake Summerville where the ramps were much less steep, also was fine in Galveston launching in the Gulf.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is go check out the marina/boat ramp were you will normally launch at and see if anyone else is having a problem with 2wds and big boats.

P.S. I love pulling boats out in 4low, darn near just idle out of the water.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
We shall see!:ro) Before I even attempt it I'm thinkin I'll put on a set of Bridgestone Revo A/T's , cant decide between the 265/75/16 and 285/75/16. Need to find out more about rubbing problems (or any other problems for that matter) with the 285's
As an engineer, I would recommend staying away from the 285's and here is why. One common misconception is that wider tires have more traction on wet, snowy or icy roads. The truth is actually the opposite. The force you can apply to the road without spining the tires (traction) = coefficient of friction (very low on slick surfaces) * pressure applied to the tires (weight on rear wheels / area of tire contact patch.) Wider tires lower the pressure on the road (which is good in soft sand) and reduce traction.

Years ago we helped a 4wd Furd get his empty boat trailer back up the ramp. He backed down the ramp and unloaded the boat. It was a low water year and he didn't notice that the boat trailer axle had dropped off the end of the top layer of pavement. The 4" curb on the end of the ramp was enough to cause the truck tires to spin on the wet ramp. His big "blue oval" problem was that he had to back up to get into 4wd. He had to winch the truck and empty trailer up to dry pavement.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Theroy looks good on paper, but in my personal experiance, I've been stuck in the mud a few times with 245s never been stuck with my 285s. Plus they look better ;)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Don't forget you can always use the boat power to give a little push to get it rolling. I pulled a 16K boat out for 10 years with a 2wd dually. Usually it came right out if you just eased into the throttle and let up a little if the tires started to spin.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
That is if your lucky enough to have two people with you when retrieving the boat. ;) ;)

Is mud and a wet boat ramp the same thing. Our town has a mud bog and "some" of the best trucks in the mud are the ones with really tall and skinny tires. I am not a tire expert so please do not take this the wrong way....more of a question.

285s are much nice looking than the 245s for sure. ;)

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I gotta agree with the engineer guy. The more weight to the surface area the better the traction. Mud is totally different considering floatation. A narrower tire on hard surface will have better traction than a wider tire. Might not look as good but will work better on the hard surface. You can get as good as traction with a wider tire if you can get enough weight on it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine is about 10K to 11K on the trailer, I never use 4wd. One trick you can try if the ramp will allow is to turn the wheels of the truck and go up the ramp at an angle. This will in effect lessen the angle of the ramp.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've pulled many boats. Big boats 42ft Gibson house boat too small jet skis all 2wd ( i worked during school in my uncles marina). gotten stuck many times usually bad ramp, muddy after high water. and i usually get stuck with an empty trailer. when you pull a boat out there is more weight on the tongue when the boat is floating at the stern and the bow is supported by the trailer once the boat is seated on the trailer then the weight is distributed evenly and you will have your 200lbs to 500lb tongue weight. just use good judgment if the ramp looks bad find another ramp if no other ramps are available find a marina that will crane it in.

PS once you are moving don't stop unless something is wrong or your on good surface that you can get traction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts