Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a Tellphone 4000 bluetooth module tomorrow but need some help with wire identification and harness locations.

The simplest install is if the radio supports both line-in and mute pins. Does a lux TNR have both? I'm assuming so as I have On-star and it works.
I need help with radio harness pin assignments and wire colors for:
line-in positive
line-in negative
mute

I also need locations/wire colors for:
constant 12V
ground
12V (ignition switched)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I also would like to hear if we can install a bluetooth connection, but I don't think that I have the LUX system from all that I read about the NAV install. I don't think that any of the Silverados have the LUX system unless added after. I may be wrong. can anyone answer this? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I also would like to hear if we can install a bluetooth connection, but I don't think that I have the LUX system from all that I read about the NAV install. I don't think that any of the Silverados have the LUX system unless added after. I may be wrong. can anyone answer this? Thanks.
If it's the factory system then it is NOT the Lux version.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks. I thought that the stock didn't have the LUX.

Follow on question though can we install the Blue Tooth into the radio. I am debating about going with an after market install for the cell or to activate for an additional monthly charge the Onstar through Verizon. I would prefer to drop my cell into a cradle and have it activate versus a separate number.

Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I Don't know first hand but I think that some one did post about tieing a blue tooth into there truck. I'll see if I can find the post.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the lux amp and TNR added (from JP Customs). I talked to them yesterday and now have all the instructions I need to add the back-up camera, iPod adapter and Bluetooth module. I'll be doing the install today and next weekend (not too much time for it today). I'll post pics and comments once it's done.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Onstar

Someone posted a few days ago that he had his Verizon Cellphone service linked to his Onstar. I don't remember who posted it and I can't find it. Anyone have any info on this?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I had the Verizon service and although it was nice, I stopped it and added a Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth car kit. Worlds better. Before, I had two numbers to give out and no matter what, people would call me on my portable. Now, when I'm in the truck, the hands free takes over. The other thing I did not like about the Verizon/Onstar deal is that when you do do it, it locks your account out with the local Verizon store and you can only access your account with Verizon through the customer service number. I didn't like the idea of not being able to use the local Verizon store if I needed to.

If you search "bluetooth" theres a lot on the subject.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I recomend what Diesel Dragon mentions about cellsite harnesss. They are pretty cheap and could save lots of hassles. I have one on the way for my Motorola 1000 bluetooth handsfree car kit.

for trucks with onstar: http://www.electronicsoutfitter.com/store/GMCSS-2

trucks without: http://www.electronicsoutfitter.com/store/GMCSS-1.html
So did you get the Motorola 1000 installed, and if so can you give us a brief product review including price/features/performance/installtion/pictures?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I installed a Motorola 1000 the other day. Pretty nice unit. I'm going to put one in my truck soon.

I think you can wire into the existing system without buying a harness. I'm going to look into it.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I think I know how to wire it up. I need to get my hands on another 1000 to try it.

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Tony is this on a non-lux system or Lux system? I still cant really figure out if the LUX units have a working mute wire, since everything is done thru data... :confused:

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
non-lux. The only thing I know for certain right now is that if you unplug the C2 harness on the radio and hit the onstar button on the steering wheel it will mute the radio and IIRC it also says Mute on the radio.

I'm thinking the grey/black wire will mute the radio with ground or 12v or perhaps 5v (need to get a DMM On it) then you should be able to use the on star inputs for audio. It should be straight forward but like I said I need to try it to know for sure.

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
yeah thats the only problem...looking at SI documents, the mute wire is non-existant on the Lux radios. The spot is just empty on the harness....but maybe it still works anyway? Who knows.....

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
B1 is mute on non lux and on lux B1 is Mic something or other. Maybe that's not used.

Ben what happens if you unplug C2 and hit the on star button on the steering wheel with a LUX system?

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
B1 is mute on non lux and on lux B1 is Mic something or other. Maybe that's not used.

Ben what happens if you unplug C2 and hit the on star button on the steering wheel with a LUX system?
Dont know.... :confuzeld:

I would assume it would mute the radio, switch over to the "OnStar input" on the back of the radio, and not play anything because C2 is unplugged.

Muting the radio is done with data. VCIM sends a Class II signal to tell the radio to switch over to OnStar. To be honest, I have no idea what the mute wire does on the non-Lux system either.... You're not muting the amp, because you still need the amp when you use OnStar, right? The only thing I can think of is maybe it mutes the amp for a split second when it changes sources to eliminate a POP noise?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got my instructions for the Bluetooth install today from JP Customs. They say that Pin A of the Radio C2 connector is for mute, M (pink/black wire) is for telephone voice (+12V?) and L ( orange/black wire) is telephone voice low reference (ground?). Any comments on these assignments?

Can you guys help with the location of a wire that indicates reverse? My instructions say pin A8 of the body control module (BCM) C4 plug. I think I found the right plug (to the right under the steering wheel). The wire colors correspond correctly for all the wires. My problem is that there is no wire to A8 (it's supposed to be grey). Do you know of another location to get a connection to the reverse lights?

If I need 12V accessory power (on only if ignition is on) is it best to use the A4 (pink) wire from the BCM-C4 for Ignition 1 voltage or the B3 (yellow) wire for Accessory voltage?

Once I locate the last couple wires, I can finish the installation of the iPod, Bluetooth and camera. I'll let you know if the mute works.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Tom, we are debating if that is the case on a Lux system or not.

I'll look up the BU wire and get back to you.

Depending on what you are powering up I would get the ignition power right at the ignition that way you know you have a good power source capable of the load. Brown is accy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts