Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took my 05 in thinking i had a bad tranny pump seal and it ended up being my torque converter is toast. i am trying to figure out what caused it. i never really drive with edge over 3-3. i have done about 3 level 5 runs. the truck does plow snow and thats whats the dealership thinks cause it. one time when towing my tranny temp got almost up to the red but the tranny fluid did not look burnt. i have replaced the outside filter every 5,000 miles and the truck has about 24,000. did i just have a bad converter or does anyone else have any ideas? could the edge on 3 destroyed it or maybe the one time it got hot and just took a while to go. it did not start leaking right after the last time i plowed snow. i find it hard to believe that could of caused it do to the fact the truck does not work very hard plowing snow and we have several other gm trucks that have never had that problem. any input would be appreciated?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I would have to say it was weak taking your word that you weren't abusive.Most likely the heat did it in,seeing those types of temps which are most likely generated by TC slip.There hasn't been many TC failures.

Do you plow with a winter front taking away air flow? If so I would suggest removing when plowing

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would have to say it was weak taking your word that you weren't abusive.Most likely the heat did it in,seeing those types of temps which are most likely generated by TC slip.There hasn't been many TC failures.

Do you plow with a winter front taking away air flow? If so I would suggest removing when plowing
not to get off the subject or anything, but i plow snow with my 05 and grill cover on and never see temps over 175* , that was also with the stock transmission also. just my .02 anyways :)

hope they fix it for ya !! :(

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do plow with a grill cover but never see temps over 200 even when towing. only the one time has the tranny got close to the red. the torque converter was still working only losing fluid as quickly as they could add it. i guess my concern is whether it was cause by the edge or not. if so im gonna sell it for i need a reliable truck. could the edge have done this on level 3 or is it something else?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Some times things just happen I would say it was a workman ship issue and wouldn't get all worked up about it. Another thing I don't quite understand how the torque converter was leaking maybe it was just the pump seal and it tore up the converter hub?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Based on what you have posted IMO Edge has nothing to do with it.If the converter was leaking sounds like a seal issue,I can't see how a add on box would cause that condition.

Heat is detrimental to fluid capabilities to lubricate and cool any transmission.Once you reach an unacceptable operating temperature things go down hill.

Towing and plowing with the grill cover and seeing higher than normal temps should be a clue that things aren't good.I'm not saying it caused a failure just a heads up.In long runs plowing probably doesn't matter but with many gear exchanges and stop and goes I can see how then temp can and will rise quickly with reduced airflow.

IMO you probably just had a bum Converter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Edge has nothing whatsoever to do with your problem. If the tork conv is leaking, it is from the weld around the outer diameter or the weld around the center hub. I have seen a few of these at work, but its not very common. Dont worry about the Edge. Just get it fixed and enjoy your truck.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mackin..... when it got hot was pulling a fifth wheel up a long hill, not when towing

thanks for the replies, i feel alot better about keeping edge now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Before I got my built tranny, I ran the edge on level 4 (for 6 months) and then level 5 (for 1.5 months). I drive hard, and it didn't cause me any troubles. I don't recomend running that high on a stock tranny if you want it to last, but I don't thing level 3 should cause too many problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had an earlier post with no response to the vibration in my truck so my question is did you notice any vibrations in your truck while your old TC was failing?
Taras

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
canadian.... no vibration at all. thing ran as good as the day i got it, only was leaking about a quart a day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts