Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today on my way to work goin 75 mph my truck blew a head gasket i think i just happend to look in the rearview and seen a huge cloud of smoke coolant light came on i limped it to my shop 2 miles away and when i parked it there was a ton of blue smoke commin from the tailpipe and coolant all over the bottom of the truck and next to the resivior all i could smell is coolant great way to start the week

so i had it towed home right away then 8 hours later when i got back i started it the radiator hose got hard right away more blue smoke pulled the dipstick didnt look like there was any coolant in the oil tried to smell it but all i could smell is coolant anyways

what do you guys think "cracked block" or "headgasket" any ideas would be great ill be doing a compression check later this week to see for sure but i guess if the head gasket is blown i might as well pull the motor and build a low compression motor if the block is ok thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
exactly, pull it!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
There you go, Low Comp, you know who to PM:D .

just give me a shout

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Keep us posted. If you need a block. I might just have a near complete available.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
I put head gaskets on a 93 6.5 last summer and at 200k the honing marks were still in the cylinders, cracks between valves, no biggie, put it back together with new felpro head gaskets and new head bolts and ran like a champ, add another one to the list of cracks in heads between valves usually are no big deal;)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I put head gaskets on a 93 6.5 last summer and at 200k the honing marks were still in the cylinders, cracks between valves, no biggie, put it back together with new felpro head gaskets and new head bolts and ran like a champ, add another one to the list of cracks in heads between valves usually are no big deal;)
you know, that "cracks" me up about the crack between the vlaves. WHen I first blew BOTH heads gaskets in my truck, i took the heads to be trued up and the machine shop made a big deal about the crack so I bought new GM heads becuase of that. Now, I look back and should have thought "Now, the crack CANNOT let fluid in, the space between the vlaves does NOT have a water jacket directly between. Oh well, I still do have another set of 1999 heads off a NA motor, slight cracks started at the rear cylinders (common I guess with the heat in the back).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts