Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, 6 weeks ago after the truck had been running about 10 minutes I noticed a coolant leak. Could'nt find it but it appeared to be coming from the overflow tube on the coolant canister. It had stopped and the next morning after sitting all night in 40 deg weather I took the cap off and there was a-lot of pressure in the system. I took it to the dealer claiming excessive pressure in the cooling system. They told me that it had an air bubble in the cooling system and they bleed it out. The coolant light had come on a couple of days afterward and I took the cap off in the AM and it still had a little pressure. It did this a couple of more times. I thought maybe it may have been bleeding a little more air out making room for more coolant. Well yesterday the check coolant light came on and I thought no big deal well then the check temp came on and the gauge said 250 deg. I pulled over and it took a lot of water. I have called the dealer and they have not called me back but does this sound like a blown head gasket? I have seen no more water leaks of steam?

·
Registered
24 Posts
coolant problem

My 02 was loosing coolant and it was leaking around the injectors and going out the exhaust. At first the low coolant light would just come on and I would add coolant, but then it started smoking a bluish-white smoke out the exhaust. The dealer put new injectors in around 75,000 miles. I sold it with near 90,000 and no more problems. Bought 05 LLY.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mine did the same thing. It ended up being a seal around one injector. Took the dealer 4 weeks to find it. They said they pulled the glow plug out and pressurized the system through there to see if the coolant would bubble in the tank. Glad it was under warranty. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had the truck for about8 months and it has 56k on it!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The truck still runs good, hot or cold. Still has a lot of power. If it was a blown head gasket would a diesel motor run crappy?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
My 02 was doing the samething. Lots of threads and posts on here that describe this problem. As has been said, either a leaking injector sleeve or a head gasket. Mine turned out to be head gaskets and not a cheap fix if you are past warranty. Mine would pressurize the coolant system then blow out the over flow. The Temp would not come up for the longest time and then shoot up to around 220 and then right back to normal. The pressure in the system was causing the thermostat to no function correctly. Anyway, it has got to be or the other. Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 01 w/75,000 miles was doing same thing. GM replaced injectors & inj. cup seals. Was OK for 3,000 miles, started doing it again. Has been at GM dealership for 4 1/2 weeks. Replacing heads this time. Supposed to get it back tommorrow or Thursday. The first repair was done before the 5 yr., 100,000 mile warranty ran out. The 5 yrs. was up shortly after the injector & cup seal replacment. They are replacing the heads even though the warranty is out because it was there for the same problem before. I hope this fixes it. Been lost without my truck for almost 5 weeks.

·
Registered
802 Posts
My 01 w/75,000 miles was doing same thing. GM replaced injectors & inj. cup seals. Was OK for 3,000 miles, started doing it again. Has been at GM dealership for 4 1/2 weeks. Replacing heads this time. Supposed to get it back tommorrow or Thursday. The first repair was done before the 5 yr., 100,000 mile warranty ran out. The 5 yrs. was up shortly after the injector & cup seal replacment. They are replacing the heads even though the warranty is out because it was there for the same problem before. I hope this fixes it. Been lost without my truck for almost 5 weeks.
DON'T SAY THINGS LIKE THAT! Mine is in for the same thing.
Pressure checking it over night. 5 yr according to car fax is next week. i wonder what gm's date is????:eek:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well... my truck failed the pressure check. "Gaskets on order". five weeks you say. Then it will be the heads.....

Better get that bicycle dusted off. i'm going to be in good shape by the time this thing get done.

PS. Service manager told me a guy yesterday had his dmax warranty voided because of the edge. guess they had an GM engineer fly in to help on a caddy....and he noticed it.:( I don't know what the truck was in for, but it was an 04 LLY.

oh i guess i got a little lucky, even if gm doesn't offer a courtesy car for warranty work, 98,345 miles and 5 years ends the 24th.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok NOW IM PISSED. Gm did a 1/2hr pressure check on the cooling system and did'nt find any problems. No water leakage from anywhere! So I asked them how in the hell is it using water then! They could not answer it!!!!! I guess I will wait for it to use more water and then take it back in! Were 01' known to have a head or head gasket problem?

·
Registered
802 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
It sat there for a week and half before they pulled it in the shop. They started it up on the day of the appointment & let it idle and it dumped coolant. They called GM and told them the story and they said replace the heads. The hold up waiting on parts was the heads coming from Duramax. They didn't call today, service writer said today or Thursday, WHO KNOWS??????????

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Can't believe that GM just told them to replace the heads right off the top without even checking them. Usually pull the heads and have them checked before they replace them. Can blow a head gasket without damaging the heads. That was the case on my truck. I did it on my dime since my truck was anything but stock. If you play then you better be willing to pay. Can't believe 5 weeks to get the other truck fixed. I'd be looking for a new shop.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked up my truck yesterday and the put in what the called "cooling tabs" I had asked her what that was and she told me a block sealer. I got pissed and told her that if I wanted to just rig the F%$*ing thing I could of dumped bars leak into it. She told me that this was a temp fix and that it would help them narrow down where the water was going! I have a call into the service manager on this one. Anybody heard of cooling tabs?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Picked up my truck yesterday and the put in what the called "cooling tabs" I had asked her what that was and she told me a block sealer. I got pissed and told her that if I wanted to just rig the F%$*ing thing I could of dumped bars leak into it. She told me that this was a temp fix and that it would help them narrow down where the water was going! I have a call into the service manager on this one. Anybody heard of cooling tabs?
GM sells a disolving tablet that can be used to stop a weaping coolant leak. I have read on other threads that you don't want to use more than about three. Enough of any of that stuff and it will gum up anything. I'm surprised they put those in before asking you first. That is a Bull S**t way of trying to find out what is wrong with your truck. I wonder if they have had a qualified duramax tech even look at it yet? Keep us informed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya I thought that was a chicken s&*t way to try and fix it. Here is my concerne. The truck will shortly be out of factory warranty. So what if it was a blown head gasket and the tabs work for 5,000 miles then it starts using water again! I'm screwed because now it is on my dime. I am going to have to have GM do something regarding this problem. I want something in writing stating that I will have some kind of extended coverage on this problem!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New update! The truck went 22.4 miles (I set the trip odo when I drove out last time) and the low collant light went on! The service manager argues with me that it is nothing internal. Ok where is the coolant going. I guess I will have to call GM.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts