Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck randomly started running very rough and blowing alot of white smoke when on the throttle but idles fine, my oil pressure seems to fluctuate alot now not sure if that has anything to do with it? Did a blowback check with the oil cap and no blowback at all, cant figure out what the problem is, even in park if i give it throttle it starts sputtering and blowing smoke. Any help appreciated

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it didnt, I filled up about 2 days before, got to about a half tank when it started acting up.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Checked for any codes?

Reactions: Dennisreese

·
Registered
02 2500HD LB7
94 Posts
I'd start with the easy things to check. Drain the filter and see if there is anything in the fuel, change it if it hasn't recently been done.
Start looking at the turbo next, check the wheel to make sure its spinning and no excessive play.
Does the smoke have any smell to it besides unburnt diesel?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd start with the easy things to check. Drain the filter and see if there is anything in the fuel, change it if it hasn't recently been done.
Start looking at the turbo next, check the wheel to make sure its spinning and no excessive play.
Okay will do! Thanks for the help, I recently had the fuel filter changed a couple weeks ago, as far as I can tell its just unburnt diesel smell, not 100% sure though it is a strong smell thats forsure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It almost smells like somethings burning when i hit the throttle, not to sure what unburnt diesel smells like but the smell im getting is pretty bad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked for any codes?
I've had a few codes pop up, some have been their sense i bought the truck though so not to sure, there is a couple codes for the egr, and also one for a glow plug circuit or something like that, not sure if any of these would cause the problem im having

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
I've had a few codes pop up, some have been their sense i bought the truck though so not to sure, there is a couple codes for the egr, and also one for a glow plug circuit or something like that, not sure if any of these would cause the problem im having
Post up the year, make , and model of your truck and list any mods.
also, post up the exact codes you are getting from the scanner
(y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2005 chevy 2500hd, it has the egr delete and i run an edge monitor, i will post codes up after work. Thanks in advance for all the help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Post up the year, make , and model of your truck and list any mods.
also, post up the exact codes you are getting from the scanner
(y)
2005 chevy 2500hd, it has the egr delete and i run an edge monitor, i will post codes up after work. Thanks in advance for all the help!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
It's been ages, but there's an old adage for white and black smoking diesel construction equipment. You get one color for the filters that are clogged and I can't recall which color goes to which, but...

One is caused by clogged air filters and the other is caused by clogged fuel filters.

The clogged air filters really plays havoc. You'd think the engine was gonna blow up when you hit the throttle. Even getting fire coming out of the smoke stacks, iirc. Again, ages since I've been on equipment.

Good luck!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Head gasket? Check for water in the oil, check for oil level or coolant level dropping... or hard radiator hoses...

My white smoke has been coolant (not my LLY) but a light haze could be oil.

·
Registered
02 2500HD LB7
94 Posts
It almost smells like somethings burning when i hit the throttle, not to sure what unburnt diesel smells like but the smell im getting is pretty bad
Unburnt diesel smells like a mix of regular diesel exhaust and the same raw diesel smell you get when filling the tank, means its a fuel system problem.
If the smoke smells somewhat sweet, then its antifreeze burning and its likely a head gasket issue.
If it just smells plain horrible then its likely oil burning and means theres a mechanical issue somewhere where oil is getting where it shouldn't.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Possibly check the wiring harness for chaffing?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts