Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i have looked at all the head gasket and lose of coolant threads and none of them are any help. the problem i am having is i am blowing coolant out of the overflow tube and all over the side of the truck. i am not leaking coolant any where i can see on the engine and i don't get smoke out of the tail pipe so i can't tell what is going on i have had it in the shop for blown hoses and had them check and they guy says it is fine and he can't see anything wrong said the hoses are just getting bad i have 94K on the truck now and the last time i replaced a hose i replaced both t-stats so does anyone have any idea what it could be thanks in advance

·
Registered
393 Posts
head gasket just replaced at 100k when the kids broke into the truck. same thing.

·
Banned
84 Posts
If the cap is good then its a blown head gasket or warped heads, one leads to the other. Check your upper radiator hose, if it is rock hard with the engine running then its for sure the head gaskets or warped heads or both.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys that is what i thought i need to get it in the shop before i hit 100K that way my warrenty will pay for it anyone in texas around San Antonio know of a good diesel shop to go to

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok talked to a diesel machanic at a dealership and told him everything they had said and he is thinking that it is a cracked block or head does this sound right i don't overheat and the there is still coolant in the resiovor and my gauge doesn't go above 210 but stays right under neither the dash. the last machanic it was at told me it would have to get worse for it to get better and i tried to tell them they have to do more then just drive the truck up and down the street they are on

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
jdugie123;1685515; said:
ok talked to a diesel machanic at a dealership and told him everything they had said and he is thinking that it is a cracked block or head does this sound right i don't overheat and the there is still coolant in the resiovor and my gauge doesn't go above 210 but stays right under neither the dash. the last machanic it was at told me it would have to get worse for it to get better and i tried to tell them they have to do more then just drive the truck up and down the street they are on
Make the service writer take a test drive with you. DON'T bring him back until it starts blowing coolant :)

·
Banned
84 Posts
Its a blown head gasket bare minimum, if any mechanic tells you otherwise move on to the next one because the ones you are talking to are morons.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The only time coolant makes itself come out of a coolant tank is if its overheating and boiling out or there is air in the system from whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Spitz;1686723; said:
The only time coolant makes itself come out of a coolant tank is if its overheating and boiling out or there is air in the system from whatever reason.
Also when you have a blown head gasket and cumbustion is coming through the coolant. My guess is the head gasket. Like others are saying, if they say otherwise, try to go to another dealer.

·
Registered
804 Posts
NCMIC;1687171; said:
Also when you have a blown head gasket and cumbustion is coming through the coolant. My guess is the head gasket. Like others are saying, if they say otherwise, try to go to another dealer.

Yea, air being pushed into the system...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had the exact same problem. It's the head gasket. Have them check both. I had both replaced along with a water pump.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks i am still in search of a dealer that isn't going to just say it was my programer the only one i tell them i have is my banks and that is because it is to hard to take all of the stuff out i would rather just unplug it and that is it but i may have found one so i have my fingers crossed i am going to take it there next week

·
Registered
488 Posts
You don't have a prayer getting warranty with programmers on the truck, GM WILL deny you warranty at least and black flag it at worst so no dealer anywhere will warranty it.
Make them disappear and you have a chance, with them none.

Merle

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya but see that is the thing i have had it in and they have put a pressure tester on my coolant bottle and nothing happens would a pressure test on the cylinder be better. i don't really want to take it to a dealership i just know they are going to say something about my progamer and my exhaust. well i am hopeing that the dealer i am going to talk to today will be ok he know the guys i got most of my stuff from and doesn't know that i didn't get my programers from him so just maybe he will do the work and if it gets black flaged that is ok i don't have much to my warrenty on the engine maybe 1k and the injectors if they go out i plan on replaceing them with better ones so that is no big deal

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Just hope if they black flag your truck, you say "not that much warrenty left on the truck" if this problem is a warped block (most likely head gasket, or heads but possible) you may not want the bill for this fix.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya but that isn't the only warrenty i have i have one thru the bank and they let me take it to any mechanic i want and don't ask really any questions like everytime my steering was messed up i took it to the place were i got my lift done and they didn't even ask if i had anything done to it so i am covered either way i would just rather a dealer do it so i know it is done by GM

·
Registered
540 Posts
It sounds as though you've already made up your mind. The exhaust itself should have no effect on your engine's problems. It's your money/headache, but if it saves you a $2-5K repair bill, why not take the time and remove the programmer?

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Remove the programmer!! Even if the dealer is cool, If the GM area rep shows up...:eek:

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i decided not to take it to the dealer they all say that they can't get it in till next week and by then my warranty will be up so i am just going to use a local shop and hope they know what they are doing besides i have never had any luck at dealerships anyways the last truck i had the radio went out and they said it was because of my amp that i had in it the am wasn't even hooked to the radio just a speaker and i had a seperate switch for the remote lead so its back to texas diesel injection agian

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
talk to the mechanic today and he thinks it is the EGR cooler that is doing it so its going in on monday i have to get the pressure regulator done to

1 - 20 of 22 Posts