Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my 95 k2500 the blower motor stopped working. I found the plug with red and black wires in it melted. If I wiggle the wires the fan starts working. Also the wires get super hot when it is working. I'm sure that is why it melted. I know I need to replace the plug. But what all is on that circuit that would cause it to build enough heat to melt the plastic. What do I need to check to make sure everything is up to par. The blower motor is 2ish years old. Pic is for reference of the plug I'm talking about
Hood Automotive lighting Trunk Computer hardware Electronic component

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
That circuit is only for the blower on Hi.
They melt down due to corroded terminals overheated by the hi amperage of the blower.
Very common occurrence.
Cut the connector out and splice the wires.
The conn. is only there so the entire under hood harness can be installed/removed without cutting any wires.

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank you. When looking at the terminals they seem way undersized for the application.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
They are, bean counters.
There should not be a connector between the blower fuse and the blower relay.
You are looking at the reason why.

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The ground wire runs through the firewall and grounds to a bolt on the intake manifold. Those wires are in poor shape and really should be replaced (as much of it as you can) and probably relocate the end of the wire over to the bolt on the intake where the passenger side battery negative cable is, that way it gets a good battery ground.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
And ground the inside to the dash brace while your at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts