Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone running a blow off valve on their truck? why or why not? i know what they are for but ive never heard of one on a diesel. would it hurt anything to put one on?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
What purpose would it serve?

·
Registered
454 Posts
no need for one since theres no throttle plate for the boost to back up against.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
there is a use. With bigger boost, there is a tremendous pressure build up when big boost is made and then the throttle is let go really fast.

When I am at big boost, 25+ psi and i let off the throttle, there is a BIG , SSHHH SHHH SHHH sound and it is wicked.

I know that this sound is the high pressure backing up and "bouncing" off of the inducer wheel on the turbo. This will also make the turbo shaft snap or possible bend the fins on the inducer.

All of the big Dmaxs have blow offs for good reason.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heck yeah man cool sound . VROOM PSHHHHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Be careful or you will wind up with vroom, pish, boom, bang, got to beef it up some before you are ready for the big whooshing

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
So far, I have made some BIG whhooshes! I need to get a sound clip of one.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Chicago TDP;1603529; said:
When I am at big boost, 25+ psi and i let off the throttle, there is a BIG , SSHHH SHHH SHHH sound and it is wicked.

I know that this sound is the high pressure backing up and "bouncing" off of the inducer wheel on the turbo. This will also make the turbo shaft snap or possible bend the fins on the inducer.
This doesn't make any sense though. What would cause high pressure backing up when you let off the throttle if there is no throttle plate? Seems to me what ever residual boost the turbo is generating would simply go through the cylinders with minimal back pressure.

What is an "inducer?" I've heard of a compressor wheel on a turbo, but never heard of an inducer.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Chicago TDP;1604279; said:
So far, I have made some BIG whhooshes! I need to get a sound clip of one.
My cautionary note was for benefit of 6.5turboo

·
Registered
309 Posts
I thought the purpose of a diesel was to hold boost????? where as a BOV would let it all out

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Stingray454;1605324; said:
This doesn't make any sense though. What would cause high pressure backing up when you let off the throttle if there is no throttle plate? Seems to me what ever residual boost the turbo is generating would simply go through the cylinders with minimal back pressure.

What is an "inducer?" I've heard of a compressor wheel on a turbo, but never heard of an inducer.
The incuder is the tech name for the compressor wheel.

The back-up that makes the pressure sound is not from a pressure plate obviously but the turbo's inertia trying to keep on spinning although all the fuel has been removed to make the crutial gas to make it spin.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was just asking if it would work and why no one used them. now i know thanks!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
no one with a 6.5 uses them becuase no one has high enough boost to cause damage to an inducer or the possiblilty of snaping a turbo shaft in half.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Are you asking if they would serve a purpose or would it make a cool sound??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
make a cool sound?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Inducer is a specific area of the blades on the compressor wheel - you can see part of that area in the inlet throat of the compressor housing

Another area of the wheel blades is the exducer, which hurls high velocity air into the scroll housing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts