Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will or would it hurt the trany if you use a the stick on type block heater on the Alli.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I cant see why it would hurt it but I have to wonder why you would need it. I dont see any benifit to pre-warming the trans fluid, unless you have extra electricity.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The only thing you might be cautious of is the temp of the stick. You probably don't want anything over 220+ degrees as you might "burn" the full in a localized area. I'm not sure of the exact temp, but 220 should give plenty of cushon.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not the stick kind its the kind you stick(RTV) on the bottom of the pan and it was on it when I got it. One reason I was wondering was fif there would be any posiable tranny problems from over heating to oil thats if those little pads get hot enough and also if the fluid needed to be warmed in cold climates to help the tranny work better when it is cold.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I get it. Stick as in adhesiver vs. stick as in throw. That same principle holds. If the temp is too high, you can reduce the life of the fluid. I see you added your location, and being that particular location, I now understand why someone might want to do that. It can get mighty cold up your way and the Allison has several modes it runs in till it heats up. For you, it will probably be advantagous, for me NOT!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Cwolfe, The tranny is able to compensate for cold fluid operation with its programming, In extreme cold temps (~-50f) it will actually inhibit shift till fluid temp comes up.. I noticed you were from Alaska and now I see your concerns. The only other thing that might concern me is if you stick it to your pan and its not removeable, internal service would be interesting, as the pan would be 'tethered' to the truck with the cord.

Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts