Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 suburban that is hard as heck to start.

typically glow it till the lights go out and then crank it a few times, then wait and re glow it.. still misses and sputters until things get fired up.

Now with temps in MD at 7 degrees it is really a chore to start.

I was reading about peoples block heaters, my manual says nothing about them and I have never see one ( bought the truck used 140K ago) got 206 on it now.

Runs strong once it's started. OH... service engine light is usually always on or off depending on the day of the week...
I suspect a glow plug wiring problem somewhere, but if there is an engine heater or After market that works well I', all ears - it would sure help and keep from cranking on my starter motor. And yes - I usually plug a starting charger on it when this cold to get it turned over to even be close to sufficient RPM.

When it starts smoke pouts but then after the computer takes over on the timing it quiets down and runs great.

No Chips.. just a 4 in SS diesel systems with muffler thats still louder then all get out when you hammer it on a long pull.
not bad at normal driving

Thanks
Wayne

·
Registered
42 Posts
The block heater is located on the drivers side of the truck, it is installed in a water jacket hole, just find that, and run the cable down. It made a HUGE difference on mine getting it started up in colder weather. I plugged mine in every night that the temps were in the 30's or below, I'd plug it in before I went to bed, and the next morning, it would fire right up and not rattle to the point of thinking a rod was coming out to say hello! Mine did go out after 4 years, but I bought another one from SS Diesel Supply, install took about 30 minutes, no problem at all.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I purchased my '96 last year from a fellow in Tennessee. He had never hooked up the block heater.

Open the hood and approach from the front. Look down beside the radiator on the drivers side. Somewhere betwen the radiator and the power steering box you should see the block heater cord neatly coiled and zip tied to frame from the factory.

cut the cable loose and run it out somewhere so you can plug it in. If you're lucky you might hear it hiss ever so slightly and shortly, 10 seconds or so after you plug it in.

Good luck.

By the way, if you have a glow plug override (with a relay or without a relay) you'll be able to start it with or without a block heater.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Bingo!!!!!

After the first reply From RacerKvn, I went out and started looking around - I had never seen any plugs and I've been over this truck a lot!!!

Well...come to find out I see this thing that looks just like the block heater on the SS diesel site... going to a bunch of wires wire tied... right next to my wiring harness for the fog lights :)

then after I came in and read the post from dieseldufus - I said AHA... ( I was actually looking around to see what type of cord it needed...

reached aodn tooka pair of dikes and cut the wire tie and ,,,,,, Low and behold, mine had never been hooked up either! complete with AC plug...

She's plugged in now! :D

Thanks Guys!!!!!

Wayne

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Your hard starting is seperate from a block heater in being able to get it to start. The SES light is sending you a message & you're ignoring it !!! A Slow cranking speed could be caused by a worn down starter, poor batteries, positive cable connections & ground connections. It needs to be diagnosed as to what the REAL problem is . Now is the time & do it before you have a total no start , IMO. Good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Glad you found it!

Mine was a noticeably easier to start when cold weather was upon us! Mine wasn't masking any problem, you start it up in cold weather, it would turn over slower, and rattle like no tomorrow....plug it in overnight, it would turn over easier and faster and would not rattle any more than it did during the summer months. I'm not saying you don't have another underlying problem with slow starts, but mine sure did make a difference if it was plugged in or not....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts