Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 Silverado 3500 LBZ. I had a remote start put on a week ago and I wanted to know will it hurt anything if I run the truck with the heater plugged in? It kinda defeates the purpose of a remote start if I have to go out to unplg the heater anyway.

Rob

·
Registered
693 Posts
There are some great pics of a truck that was started in the lb7 forum while the block heater was plugged in, or so they say.

I have done it but not unattended or for long

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
cold coolant rushing over a hot element is why i hear you can't do it.

not 100% sure if that's a problem. i just unplug it before i shut it off.

you could always get a timer. have the timer go off before you hit the remote start. timers are like $20 at lowes

·
Registered
663 Posts
cold coolant rushing over a hot element is why i hear you can't do it.

not 100% sure if that's a problem. i just unplug it before i shut it off.

you could always get a timer. have the timer go off before you hit the remote start. timers are like $20 at lowes
In the 40 years I've been starting cars with block heaters, I've never had trouble of any kind. I've even left the location with the cord plugged in, LMAO, but it just disconnects as I drive away. Mind you, I don't make a habit of driving off with the cord still attatched):h ... but it has happened. The heater element is a rugged little bugger and cold coolant isn't going to harm it in the least. Next time you are at the parts counter, ask to see a block heater element out of the box. But be aware that these are high current draw devices (1200 watts or more) and as such, most household type timers can not handle the amperage. They either do not turn on/off at the times set or they melt(open circut) internally. Even the ones advertised as 1500 watts (15 amps) have trouble. I've adapted timing devices I've found at work to fit my needs. Now these are my observations. Your results may vary. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

CWB

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Fbodyman--You've got the best of both worlds--won't hurt your block heater at all. And there is no cold coolant--your heater has warmed it or did I miss something.I too have forgot to unplug--it happens.I just started after 32 years with all sorts of diesels in my excavating business to use a timer--just really to save some electric--so far it's been fine but like Cottonwoodblues said get yourself a beefy one.I think mine is 20 amp--about $20 at Home Depot.It only needs 3-4 hours plugged in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have used the block heater with the temps above zero nad this has caused the service engine light o come and no upshift.
The book says nothing about problems when using it above zero. The delaer says not to use it unless zero or below.
This problem has occured twice.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Billr--Your dealer is full of it.They don't know what they're saying.You can use that block heater for any temperature and won't hurt a thing.I don't even think it's tied to the computer so how would it even be reading codes and disabling your truck.It's got to be a coincidence--something else is up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Unfortunately it has happened twice.
Once I would have thought just a computer glitch but not twice and only a month apart.
I just don't know what to believe.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Billr--For peace of mind then,why don't you just call up another dealer or 2 and ask the service manager,NOT some service writer type of person. Good luck

·
Registered
150 Posts
Block Heater... thoughts

For what it is worth... I have used block heaters in everything since 1977... I even put them in my gassers... never had a problem... never a code... never a check engine light... I plug in at a forecast of 20 or less... it is just so much easier on starting and I have heat in 2 minutes or less... I still let her sit and warm up for 5 to 10 minutes (depending on how cold it is) and I drive less than 30 mph for the first 3 to 5 miles... again depending on just how cold it is... I always use a timer... 20 amp outdoor rated... Intermatic with the little key things... I set it for 4 hours on before planned start time but the off time is 1 hour after the planned start time... (just in case I oversleep, it is still warming...)

:blahblah: :D

NEVER FORGET...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts