Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the cord on my lb7 block heater seems to be to short, every time i need to use it, i have to open the hood and dig to find it. is everyone elses like this? i know on my ford thats its long enough to hang out the grill. i'd like to do the same with my chevy, any suggestions?

·
Registered
68 Posts
On mind I put a ty rap on the plug , near the radiator, I still have to raise the hood to connect the extension cord which I use a 12 guage extsion cord.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Follow the block heater cord back to where it goes into the split loom with the battery cables, etc. There's a gray retaining clip attached to the fender well that you can release, and then pull the block heater cord out of the split loom (downward, toward the frame rail). This will give you more than enough cord length to reach the grille or tow hook or whatever you want. Just be sure to route it away from anything that gets real hot and secure any extra length of cord with a zip tie.

ON EDIT: It probably doesn't matter for you being in KY, but the retaining clip comes apart easier if it's warm. I did mine when it was freeze-balls cold and it took all the patience I had not to break that thing.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Mine is long enough to mount on topof the rad. support, and I have it tied off there so it won't move. I do have to open the hood, but up there under the hood protects it from road grime and premature deterioration of the plug prongs.
JP

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
mine has a little cap to protect the prongs.

i have my block heater ziptied to the passenger side tow hook, and the oilpan heater is ziptied to the drivers side tow hook

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
these trucks have 2 heaters?

·
Registered
4,672 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
There's plenty of length to the cord if you un-wrap and cut the ty-wraps that keep it bundled up.
Mine reachs out to the slot in the lower bumper and it sit's on the shelf till I need it.

Make sure you put some dielectric grease on the plug ends and you won't have to worry about corision.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the help guys...but one more question....

can i plug my heater in when the truck is warm from driving? or do i need to wait a couple hours to cool. when i get in late at night, id just assume to plug it in when i pull in the driveway for the next day. dont they have a thermastat or somethin to kick it in and out?

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
mine has a little cap to protect the prongs.
I have the cap also, but up top seems less likely to get the rain, snow & mud inside the cap.

get yourself a timer. i've got a 1200watt outdoor timer from lowes. like $20.
Same here. I have mine on a timer with a heavy duty xten. cord. I have it set to come on about 2.5 hours before I leave. I also have the timer set to turn off a few hours later in case I don't drive my truck that day. So it stays plugged in until the next day without drawing power all day & all night.
JP

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I did the same thing as jpblock did in the other thread and put in a plug from West Marine.

I drilled and installed mine in my rear bumper since it's easier for me to plug it in that way, plus if I drive off in the morning and forget to unplug it it will simply unplug itself when it gets yanked on.

I hooked a 25 foot 12 guage extension cord to the plug and ran it along the passengers side frame rail to the front and then just plugged it into the block heater cord.

Here's a couple of pictures.

DD

Attachments

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
thanks for the help guys...but one more question....

can i plug my heater in when the truck is warm from driving? or do i need to wait a couple hours to cool. when i get in late at night, id just assume to plug it in when i pull in the driveway for the next day. dont they have a thermastat or somethin to kick it in and out?
No thermostat, when it's powered it's hot. I use a timer. When I pull in in the evening and plug up, the line is not live because of the timer. It kicks on at 3:30 and heats the system until I come out to hit the road at 6:00.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Thanks Diesel Dragon, now that is what I was looking for .....a nice clean install. Good Pics!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts