Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to burn out a block heater by leaving it plugged in too long? I'm leaving town for a few days, expecting cold weather. I'd like to leave the truck plugged in the entire time without having to worry about getting her started when I come home, or asking my wife to run out the night before I get back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've never gone more than a weekend leaving it in...But, I'd betcha you'd be just fine..It's not like it's a real hi wattage unit..

Your burb will like it too...
Edited by: towner7

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Probably not necessary to plug it in while you are gone, unless you are in heavy Artic conditions and are going to jump in and run it as soon as you get home from you trip. Plug in for about 4 hours when you get back you should be okay. Or maybe put on a HD appliance timer if you want a daily warm up just wasted juice IMO save the money spent; for another of the inevitable more power mods
you will be adding.

Search the web and also look into oil pan heaters I've been to a couple of places that have one that gets epoxied to the bottom of the pan externally, that report more effective warm up than the block heater. We don't generally get that kind of cold here in MS so I don't have one to post actual experience on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts