Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone has experience about original block heater in 230V/50Hz. The car I own has inported somewhere from US to Finland and as we know our voltage is different in Europe than in US. Has anyone tried to plug this heater into 230V?

My car is -95 6,5TD GMC 2500 Sierra

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Don't do it!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would just go ahead and change out the heater to a 230 unit. If your in Finland you most likely will need the heater and changing it is the best way out.

The heater is in one of the frost plug holes on the left side. You will most likely have to drill a hole on the old heater and insert a punch or screwdriver to remove it. When installing the new heater use a sealant on the edges and tap the heater in with a small hammer or a block of hard wood until it is flush with the block.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The heater isn't going to care about the 50Hz vs 60Hz, but double the voltage will burn it out in no time. I don't know how easy a 230V version that will fit would be to find, but a power converter to drop the 230V 50Hz to around 115V 50Hz shouldn't be too hard to come by.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I actually have one "Defal" block heater on the table that fits to the engine. I'm just too lazy to change it. Here in Finland its very usual that temperature drops even down to -30 Celsius (-22F) at winter time. Block heater is more than must over here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts