Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at what temp should you start plugging in your d-max. the cel came on and the diealer said it was because the plug in heater cord was bad. the new cord doesnt seem to be working but the manual and the cord say it will not work until temp gets below 0 degrees f. any info on this will greatly be appeciated. if you plug truck in on cold night... can anyone tell me what average temp should be at start up??

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have not read the manual regarding the heater to be honest. I plug mine in at tepms below 20F. teh truck warms up much faster but I also have high idle set and let it warm up for 10 minutes too.

Steve

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just started plugging mine in everynight or time i know the truck is going to be sitting at home for more than a few hours not running. First time was after starting it when i was 0*F out... sounded aweful on that first crank. Since then temps have been ranging between 0 and mid 20s*F.

I think it helps out greatly to get the truck up and running then by just leaving it sit w/ high idel on for 10+ mins.

As far as engine start up temps. If its sat over night the EDGE reads 85-90* just when i turn the power on, but it drops right away as soon as the motor is running and the cold coolant in the radiator hit the sensor down to the high 60s- low70s . Although it warms right back up at a much much much faster rate than when the whole block is still cold ( if you didn't use the block heater)

Not sure what the electric bill is gonna be next month. But with the price of diesel vs. home electric, i think it would at least break even rather than than the fuel wasted for an extended warm up time.

It also keeps the eng. temps up higher if you are only letting it sit for an few hours between trips here and there. I parked it and plugged it in from running it at full operating temps ( 180-190) Had to run out somewhere 3-4 hrs later, still was at like 120*F when i started it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
and the Serviceman said

Had the check engine indicator go on.. Didn't get a code.. Took it in.. Dealer has new heater cord on order. Said no need to plug it in until it gets below 0. I guess I must have enjoyed getting into a truck that started easier when it was just 5 deg. outside just a little too much.. He also said new cord won't let the heater come on until 0 or lower. I better build a bigger garage to get this truck into. Already had one borrowed from the driveway sittin out there warming up. I know them oil pirates just love to hear about us leaving our trucks running to warm up.. Can u say fat pocketed [email protected]$#$%DS LACR???? :cookoo:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts