Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a fuse for the block heater i dont see one last night when i plugged it in and i seen a little spark, and this morning it started like it wasnt plugged in so im assuming i blew a fuse or somthing?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The fuse for the block heater is in your house fuse box! there is no fuze on the block heater. likely you have a bad block heater cord or worse a bad block heater.
When it is plugged in within 30sec you should hear the water "starting to boil" just like an electric tea kettle, this would be a good thing

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well that solves that mess, first thing i did was check the box in the house, so bad block heater it is i know the cord shorted out last nite so no more block heater i guess only 2 more months of extreme cold , it has been working kinda goofy anyways

·
Registered
808 Posts
cord

You could remove the cord and check with a test light or Ohm meter, to verify whether it's the cord or heater.
With the cord still connected to the heater, using an Ohm meter you should see about 30 - 40 Ohms between each prong and open between ground and each prong and 0 between ground and the engine block.

If it's just the cord you could be plugging in tonight!

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I believe if you have spark when you plug and un-plug the cord.....the block heater is working.....

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well it hasnt been working the last 2 nites with negatives for tempature which she doesent have a hard time starting at all its jsut so rough on the motor running on only a few cylinders until it warms up but i will check all that stuff with a multimeter on sunday hopefully thanks for the tip

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I'd bet it's a bad cord.
Unplug it and ohm it out, checking for a short.
Should be an easy fix.

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sure enough bad cord it musta been rubbing against the frame all the stupid little things

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is that a common problem for the cord to rub through? Or for the block heater to go bad? Mine worked last winter and now this year it's not. I checked for juice going into the male end of the power cord and it's good.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Block heaters will fail depending on usage.
Cords pulling out of the heater is common and plug ends would have highest failure rate I'd say.

One can check the heater impedance with an Ohm meter should be around 30 Ohms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts