Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my truck to the dealer because my block heater quit working. At first they thought it was the heating element and scheduled another appointment because he didn't have one in stock. I take it in that time and now they say it is the chord, which they also didn't have in stock and wanted to schedule appointment #3
. After he told me this wasn't covered by warranty I decided to install it myself. I quickly crawled under the truck yesterday (blizzard here) and couldn't see where it plugs into the block heater. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
best way is to remove right front fender inner liner. You can see it right infront of you then. its on the front half of the engine just fore of the intercooler tube.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Did something happen to the cord?

Eric do u have any trouble w/ people starting the trucks w/ cord plugged in and blowing the heater element?

Some of our big trucks and tractors have blown the before so I always unplug first and take time to put it away before starting.Edited by: Dmax Tim

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
WYO_Dmax,

Where abouts in the great state of WY are you? I call it home sweet home myself, folks and most the family are still there. Dad has a 4x2 '03 Dmax in Powell and loves it (bought it here in Phoenix and broke it in driving it up to him this summer). Dont know if he has plugged his in yet!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dmax Tim: Nothing happened to the cord by my doing. I didn't drive off with it plugged in or anything. It was working one day and not the next. The dealer said there was a short in the cord.

Mitchagain: I live in Newcastle (NE corner of the state).

I still haven't gotten the replacement cord, it should have been mailed to me on the 19th (no dealer in town). A storm came through this weekend and my truck barely started this morning.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Tim, I dont see how starting it should effect the block heater at all. Its separate from any other part of the truck.. it doesnt tie into anythign other then itself. Just an element and a cord..

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Eric I think our problem is w/ larger motors and the rush of cold coolant (since it doesn't get whole system warm) hitting the hot element and blowing it.

W/ the larger motors u can hear the coolant sound like it's boiling when first plugged in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts