Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i plugged my truck in last night around 8pm and when i came out this morning i unplugged it jumped in turned the key and the glow plug light came on for like 10 seconds or so. odd i think.. so i start it up and the edge monitor is telling me that my engine temp is 32 degrees F. the temp out side was only 28 degrees F. i know it was on because the end of my cord has a light in it to tell that it is on.. and the outlet that it was plugged into was a gfci and it has a green light on it when it is on and good.. so after i got to work i plugged it in again to see if it was working or not.. sure enough at the end of an eight hour day.. temp out side was 41 ish and the ending temp was only 52 degrees..

question being this.. is there a fuse that the heater has on itself?? or is it just shot all together? and if it is shot.. how hard is it to replace? is it something a back yard mechanic can handle?

·
Registered
684 Posts
You have to remove the motor mount to access it and you will lose a lot of fluid. There is no fuse as the heater is not tied to anything else in the truck. Use a multi meter and ohm it out from square peg to square peg and see what you get. If the meter says O.L that means the element is burned through and the heater is shot. Or replace the cord and see if that does not help.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You dont have to remove the motormount to get at it, but you will loose all your antifreeze if you have to replace the element. There is no fuse in the cord. Are you sure you have power at the outlet that you were plugged into? The cord pugs in to the element, pull it out and check for corrosion. If you have to replace the element I strongly urge you to replace the cord also, that way it will be trouble free for a long time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Not being so mechanically inclined I took it over to my friends shop. It took him a minute, but finally realized it was unpluged at the block. He said it wasn't very easy, but he was able to get his hand into the spot to just plug it back in.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know it wouldnt have a fuse inside the truck along with the other circuits.. i was wondering if it might have something like its own breaker or something.. ill check the connection at the heater it self this weekend(weather permitting) the cord at the plug seams pretty rotter or what not.. i wouldn't mind loosing all the anti freeze.. i'm due for a flush anyway! i wanted to change the cord any way and get a plug end like the bigger trucks have.. like hard mounted to the bumper or something...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you sure you have power at the outlet that you were plugged into?

im positive.. like i said in the original post.. there is a light in the end of the power cord that i use.. which will tell me that it is on.. also the outlet i use to plug into is a GFCI outlet which has a green light on it telling me there is power to the outlet.. and i did notice both were lite that morning

·
Registered
329 Posts
No fuse on it. When mine failed last winter i didn't notice it untill it was really cold -40 You gotta love northern Canadian winters. I cut the inner plastic wheel well a bit to access the block heater. I first changed the cord hoping that was the problem. You can get a cord from your local parts store it isn't anything special unless you want to pay g.m. prices. Mine turned out to be the block heater itself. g.m told me that they burn out from idling with it plugged in too long. you will lose all your coolant when changing it. I think mine was 120.00 Canadian. It took me about 40 min.s to change.Now I make a habit of having a listen once and a while to see if it is working before I have a problem again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've had my soft plug heater go bad too, I took out plastic fender on the pass. side and it has a little tricky but changed out the element myself. I also needed to replace my antifreeze so the timing was good. I checked out the cord first and of course it was fine.
Good luck getting yours fixed, Jim

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i found a break in the wire right where i have it zip tied to the tow hook.. must have got bent back under extreme speeds and kinked.. NOT.. anywho... what gauge wire should i replace it with?? should i just get the out door wire that looks like an out door extension cord?? what about making a bracket that mounts to the bumper with male plug end hard mounted so it cant bend around?? kinda like you see on the bigger trucks?!?!

·
Registered
223 Posts
what i'm wondering is why you're plugging it in at that high of a temp??? absolutely no reason for it and if your worried about oil circulation, use synthetic, the duramax will start at -10 without plugging in everytime for me -with synthetic- and my buddys -without synthetic and 15w40-

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it was 26 degrees the night i had it plugged in.. and it didn't work so when i got to work i plugged it back it just to verify it was dead for sure.. that is the only reason i plugged it in with that temps out side.. i only use it if the temp goes below 32 degrees... i use it more for the start it up and go factor.. that way i dont have to wait till it warms up to drive off, which will take usally about 10 -15 minutes.. im sure my neighbors dislike the noise at 5 am already.. no reason to let it sit there for a long time making all the noise!

·
Registered
746 Posts
not that I would recommend it but was ice fishing in north western Maine last winter and as you know there was no plug in up there. I saw -19 Deg. F on the mirror when I hit the key. Rattled like He11 but fired right up and after about 5 minutes was running like always. so they will start at about any temperature, but the warmer the better it is for the engine.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
all i need to know is what gauge wire i should replace it with.. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
The end of the plug are weak and the wire's tend to short out, You can replace the plug or just buy a new block heater cord I'm pretty shure this is the cause when block heaters cause electrical fire's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Block Heater Cord

I was reading the site about the block heater because my heater cord end must have shorted out this morning and burn it off. Where do you guys recommend buying the cord and I agree, the cord is too short. It appears there must have been a cut or break in the cord and it shorted out against the bumper, it think. Is the cord hard to change out?

·
Registered
103 Posts
18 g wire is the factory wire

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
looking around for options.. i came across this.. made for fire trucks and what not.. its big brother that has anti arcing **** and other things on it is $350 so i could expect this one will be 200 or so!!

http://www.kussmaul.com/091-18wp-120.html

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm not sure if these are still around or not. I had a realy cold natured gas truck, I installed a tank heater. It was 1500 watts and had a small pump that circulated coolant. I put it on a timer a few hours before I would leave, and it would be warm at start up in the cab. If my block heater takes a dump, I'm going to try and find one a circulates.

later

1 - 19 of 19 Posts