Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's to cold for my truck to start today with bad glows so i go and plug it in as soon as i do i hear whats sounds like water boiling or a little like air it's hard to explain, so of course i unplug it wait a second plug it back in same thing. is this normal and i just never noticed it before or is it burning up:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Sounds sort of like a softer A/C hiss' after you shut the truck off in summer. I came to like that gentel hiss 'cuz I knew it was working. Last year, I plugged it in over night and had rough starting a few mornings, I figured out by not hearing that hiss, that the end of the plug had gone bad. The wires broke internally. So I've put a heavier duty plug end on and have had no problems. I even went as far as putting a 120 V red indicator light in that shield inside the bumper hole. I wired it in parallel. Now from the front window, I can see the red glow that tells me it's still plugged in.... incase the wife or garage door comming down had unpluged it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys i got a little nervous and unpluged thinking it was burning up lol i'll go plug it in and hope she starts in a couple of hours, my own fault for keep puttin off the glows

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
baddiesel;1553641; said:
thanks guys i got a little nervous and unpluged thinking it was burning up lol i'll go plug it in and hope she starts in a couple of hours, my own fault for keep puttin off the glows
My glows are burning up as I speak lol :eek:

It's like -22 and my truck still is sitting at work...not because I'm there, but because it dont start.
Yea, when I was ready to go home.........I noticed the truck interior heater wasn't working and well, the block heater also dead!!!
Seems the breaker tripped. crap.

A word of advice REPLACE THE GLOWS /PLUG THE TRUCK IN!!!

I guess I'll drive the wife's van down there and see if she is ready to start. crap.:(

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
You guys ever thought of installing some kind of 12 volt intake air heater. I think it's been kicked around a bit.

Actually on second thought, that's what the glow plugs are.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Well, truck will be sitting till I get it towed. crap.

dammm diesels. :mad:

·
Premium Member
8,458 Posts
The medium duty GM's with CAT engines in them have a intake heater that could be wired to fire up with the GP's. A few guys have talked about this before. Just get a small enough heater that will not take too much room in the intake, and attatch the positive to the side of the GP relay. That will help get it started in the extreme cold.

Dont kick me around too hard for this, but Ford has a small heater in the older tractors and even some older diesel trucks.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Seems it would be good to have it on more than just during glow time. The glow plugs will warm the combustion chambers, but a heater could warm the air anytime it's needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.