Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the wattage of the factory block heater?

Also, what does it heat? The coolant or oil.

Just wondering what it is costing me to plug in overnight. I do know that it gets warm enough to melt snow on my hood.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
1500 watts, IIRC, and it heats the coolant. Use a heavy duty timer set to come on 3 hours or so before you need to leave and it will do its job without killing your electric bill.

Bud

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
I might plug it in more like 5-6 hours or risk throwing a code and having go into limp mode. There has been lots of threads on this.

·
Registered
177 Posts
mines been plugged in for days on end...no probs...I figure if I follow my wife and daughter around at night, turn off the 3 tv's, every light in the house, bathroom fans...lamps all over...plugging in my truck is small in comparison...I'm ahead of the game...ha!!

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Coolant, myt ruck is plugged in alot all night long most all weekend (if I dont knwo if im going anywhere maybe plugged in from fri night-monday morning etc and electric bill here in IL goes up about 20 a month. 1500 watts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If i did my calculations correctly, that equals about 18kW per month @ 12 hours per day not including weekend time if I am at home without driving.

1500 watts. Now I know why the snow is melting on my hood, YIKES!!

That is the same power my microwave uses. That seems a little extreme.

Would it be better if the oil was heated? The radiator is designed to disipate heat. Is that very efficient?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts