Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas as to where the fuse is for the block heater? All the sudden when I plug in the truck overnight the block heater doesnt work, has anyone had this prob. if so whats the remedy. I figured the fuse would be the first place to start.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
The only fuse for the engine coolant heater is in your house.
If your heater is working, you can easily tell by plugging it in for a few hours, and by then, your upper radiator hose should be warm to touch.
If it's not working, either the plug or wire has an open, or the electrical plug became dicconnected from the block heater. Generally the heater element doesn't seem to fail.
The heater element is mounted in engine block in front of passenger side motor mount. It is easily visible and accessible by removing the passenger front wheel well liner, and easier yet if the tire is removed.
You can do a easy continuity check of heater and cord with a ohm meter, connected across the Hot and Neutral of plug. With mine, I measured about 11 ohms with a good heater and cord.
My electrical cord became dissconnected twice from element, and then the wires at the plug became intermittant, showing an open on ohm meter while flexing wire.
I bought my replacement OEM cord here:
http://www.gmdieseltech.com/store2/cart.php?target=category&action=view&category_id=251

·
Registered
834 Posts
have you guys ever heard fires started from the engine block heater element when plugged in?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts