Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been plugging in my truck anytime it is below 15 degrees. I plug it in on a timer for about 5 hours and when I unplug it and go to start it the glow plug light never comes on. Here is my problem (QUESTION), this morning it was below zero ( -3 degrees with windchill -10 degrees) I went out unplugged my truck, popped the hood, unplugged the cord, shut the hood, and jumped in the truck to start it when I turned the key over my glow plug light flashed for a second and then went off. I started my truck and the gauge did go up above 160, so I know my block heater was working. Why would the light still come on after being plugged in? Is it possible to have cooled back down with-in that minute of unplugging and getting into the truck? Sorry for the long thread, any comments would help. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
You're worrying over nothing.Mine and others do the same thing.Be glad the wait lite is working and you're not throwing codes like some are.You are doing everything right.

·
Registered
255 Posts
-3 to -10 is pretty cold doubt you will be throwing any codes plugging in. I wouldnt worry about the wait to start light either sounds like its probally normal when its that cold

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
Nothing to worry about, mine did it the last two mornings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I plugged mine in for the 1st time last night. WOW, what a difference. Engine sounded so much smoother. It was around 0 degs. Think I will use it more often.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have plugged mine in on a timer the last week or so and none of the low temps were under 0F. I have had no issues with throwing codes, so it must be that I have the timer set right (4hrs). I agree - what a difference - and am also loving the difference with the grill cover on. Doesn't start or run the same when I fire it up at work after sitting all day in the cold, but it sure warms up faster.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dale;1575636; said:
I plugged mine in for the 1st time last night. WOW, what a difference. Engine sounded so much smoother. It was around 0 degs. Think I will use it more often.
I use mine whenever it gets below 40. I love that instant heat in the cab. Oh yeah, it's also better for the engine. :D

Just be sure to plug it in for at least 4 hours, when you do use the heater. Otherwise, you could get a visit from the infamous heater CEL.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still dont understand why my glow plug light would come on after being plugged in that long. Even though it just flashed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why wouldn't come on. Mine comes on in the summer for a split second.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just thought that when you plugged the truck in the light wouldnt come on. Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just plugged mine in for first time(-20 c).:eek:: Wondering if you guys can here your block heater hissing or any thing. I can t here mine and can t tell if its working. Guess ill find out in the morning:boxing:

·
Registered
150 Posts
MONZA452;1576361; said:
Just plugged mine in for first time(-20 c).:eek:: Wondering if you guys can here your block heater hissing or any thing. I can t here mine and can t tell if its working. Guess ill find out in the morning:boxing:
Normal - don't worry...

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Hissings normal. MY glow plug light never comes on w/the block heater.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Plugged in Every Nite

We plug in every nite an o6 Duramax and 06 Jeep Liberty CRD that sit in the garage with 2 months of sub zero weather no codes or problems just warm starts and quicker out the door runs. It saves the engines so much in this bad cold atmosphere. Synthetic oil in the motors too. Radiator covers to help keep it warm in the wind chill on the road at 60 + mph too. Our garage is not heated except by our block heaters and some heat lamp bulbs in the ceiling too. We are seeing excellent performance from our diesels we also treat the fuel with power service and 2 cycle low ash oil. Our EGRs aren't blocked and work just fine taking the moisture out of the oil as designed. Stock engines just have Flow Pro Exhausts on both. They just run period. That is what a diesel is suppose to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the reason the glow plug light does not come on is that the PCM uses temp sensors (oil and water) to determine if the glow plugs are needed. Even though water temp is not up to 160 it could be 150 for example and the plugs aren't needed. And no, the engine won't cool down much in a minute, maybe an hour.

·
Registered
12 Posts
80% of the time my glow plugs light will at least flash, no matter what the temp. When it's cold, and plugged in, it seems that there are mornings that it comes on for a second or two, some it flashes, and some it doesn't come on at all. I don't think that it is anything to worry about. Especially if it is just flashing. Is it parked in a garage or out in the wind?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
05dmaxFT;1579478; said:
80% of the time my glow plugs light will at least flash, no matter what the temp. When it's cold, and plugged in, it seems that there are mornings that it comes on for a second or two, some it flashes, and some it doesn't come on at all. I don't think that it is anything to worry about. Especially if it is just flashing. Is it parked in a garage or out in the wind?

It is parked outside the a garage. This morning it was about 4 degrees out and it didnt flash. Thank you for the info. Just wanted make sure it was normal.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine has flashed a couple of times over the past month that I've been plugging it in. No codes or worries here!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts