Diesel Place banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Set multimeter to "ohms", touch one probe to each of the prongs on the block heater and/or power cord, read the resistance. Ideal resistance is about 20 to 30 ohms, but if "0" or infinite resistance indicates the block heater is not functional..

just wanted to add. I can hear my block heater sizzling (good indication its working) when everythings quiet.
I can hear mine from 5 feet away also. Been that way for years so there is no guessing whether or not it's working! It's ~1000watts too so if you plug it into your extension cord slowly, it should try to arc!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Had to go do a service call, plugged it in before I left. Came back few hours later and I could feel the warmth in the crossover pipe and on exhaust manifold so block must have warmed up. I guess it was just the connection at heater, once I plugged and unplugged it got a connection and away it went.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
YAY! simple, easy, free fixes are the best.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Checked continuity and its at 25 ohms which means that its not an open circuit.
At 120V 25 ohms works out to 576 watts.

I have a 3 way adaptor at the end of my extension cord to which I plug in both the block heater and a 4 watt night light. I turn the block heater on or off with a remote control outlet plugged into the side of my house. I can look out the window and see if the heater is on or off.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
I'll 1-Up you. :HiHi:

I use a Wemo insight module (Google it) and I can turn my block heater on and off anywhere in the worlD right via my iPhone and I can also see how many watts its consuming on a live basis. It even has timers to do it all automatically. ;)

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts

I use a Wemo insight module (Google it) and I can turn my block heater on and off anywhere in the worlD right via my iPhone and I can also see how many watts its consuming on a live basis. It even has timers to do it all automatically. ;)

Not if its unplugged :whistle:

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
The factory block heater draws about 600 watts.
There is a 1000 watt upgrade heater.

I have had my suburban in maine on several different occasions. Twice during winter. The first time I had the single block heater. That sucked.
Several years later when I returned to visit during winter I came prepared.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/566018-coolant-heater-impatient-people.html
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/448253-teaching-old-j-code-new-tricks.html?highlight
So I thought.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/470-6-5-6-2-high-performance-engine-modifications/667129-coolant-powered-fuel-heater.html?highlight
^in the works^

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

This?

WeMo® Insight Switch

Says it has an 1800 Watt capacity....big enough for the average block heater....

I'm old school...I still use a plain timer...... tempting though.... if I had an iPhone or iPad or an Android based phone/tablet.....

Maybe we should start a "block heater timer/controller thread".... :eek::thumb:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My truck would be plugged in by my shop which is 200 ft from house. I have no WiFi out there, guess I'll have to remedy that :HiHi:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My truck would be plugged in by my shop which is 200 ft from house. I have no WiFi out there, guess I'll have to remedy that :HiHi:
If you have Wi-Fi at the house, you might just need a signal booster or relay.... I'm not too tech savy w/ all the terms. I saw one on a website browsing once....thought about it too for my shop.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
This?

WeMo® Insight Switch

Says it has an 1800 Watt capacity....big enough for the average block heater....
Yep, that. I have quite a few Wemo modules (switches, plugs, etc) spread around my house. I used to be big into X10 (For those who know what that is, oldschool and cheap home automation basically) and this was the next step in home automation...and far more reliable vs X10, aside from the smartphone control of things.

The wattage is no problem, I use this module through the summer on my 1HP pool pump which draws just short of 15 amps at startup and 13 amps running (needs a dedicated circuit) all summer long without any problems. The pump itself is on another level of automation (a solar controller that opens/closes a solar valve to my solar panels and starts the pump when sun is detected) so the insight module was used to send me an alert on my phone when the system was turning on/off, as well as monitoring how many hours per day it was running. This allowed me to minimize power waste as I only run my pool filter 8 hours a day, so if it ran for a lot through the day I'd program it to only run for a few extra hours in the evening, or not at all. If it ran little to none through the day (cloudy for example) I'd set it to run for 8 hours overnight when electricity was cheaper.

Anyhow, I now have the module in my garage with the extension cord to my wifes car plugged into it. On a side note I now know that a my wifes Chrysler 300 block heater draws only a measly 360 watts.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Here is a shot of a frost plug heater. This is a 4x4 and the oil filter is removed, the filter boss is the black curved thing at the upper right of the photo. The heater is the green corroded thing roughly in the middle. The vertical tube is the dipstick. The diagonal tubes are the engine oil cooler lines. Mine works now, it was just damage to the cord near the plug up front so it was an easy fix. Replacing the heater does not look fun but at least looks possible without removing the whole engine.

I suppose the 2x4's are no easier because they have a fairly wide cross member under the motor mounts blocking easy access?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts