Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just plugged in my block heater for the first time tonight to try it out (weather report said it was supposed to get down to about 18°F). Almost immediately there was a "ticking" kind of noise that started coming from somewhere near the front of the motor. I have never noticed any noise from previous block heaters, so this kind of took me by surprise. Is this normal?

If it helps I had just pulled up from a 20 or so mile drive, outside temp was about 35°F when I plugged it in.

·
Registered
245 Posts
PrairieGoat, Mine has the same noise and I think it is normal.
I hope.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, it is normal. The sound you are hearing is the coolant/water in your block being heated by the electric element. Boil some water on your stove top at home you will here the same sound.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

That's probably the case....although it also appears to have something to do with the fact that the truck had just been parked as now that it has been sitting awhile no more noise! With the coolant already being fairly warm from the engine running, the heater must've pushed it over the top....temp wise!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't worry it is only the heating element in the block heater heating up. If you don't hear that sound you might want to check it out to make sure it is still working.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK....thanks for the info guys!!!

I could really get to like that block heater....about 24°F this AM, no glow plug cycle needed to start, and the auto climate heater started right up (usually waits for awhile until the truck is warm).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had mine almost a year now and ... Yep, 1st time I plugged mine in last winter it did exactly the same thing. Don't remember it clicking during following plug-ins. Haven't plugged it in yet this season.

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts