Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question.

I've got an '04 2500HD Duramax/Allison, it came as part of the "HD Power Package" option.

Is the block heater automatically included in this? I noticed on the Chevy website that the block heater is automatically checked when I select the HD Power Package option. However, when I picked up my truck, the dealer told me I didn't have it. I'm thinking there's a good chance they just didn't know.

So here's the silly question - if I have it, where is the plug for it? I poked around under the hood a little bit and didn't see it...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Jim,

It's there, it's just hidden real well. Look down inside the engine compartment below the fuel filter. There's one of those corrugated plastic type wire holders running along the top of the frame area.

It's wire tie wrapped to that harness. A lot of the folks are opening up that plastic cover to expose more of the lead to the heater so you can get it out the front end. I did that and routed it forward to tie wrap it on top of the passenger side tow hook.

Try a few searches here, I can't really remember anything specific, but there are a few threads around about the heater lead and how some have routed it, along with some pretty good pictures.

·
Registered
687 Posts
ALL Duramax diesels have a block heater standard. Cant get one without it. Just like you cant NOT get the dual batteries. It's all part of the "package".

Just about ALL diesels (any manufacturer) in general have a block heater.

·
Registered
363 Posts
What about the coolant heater?

Is that an option or do they all have that too?

Gar

·
Registered
687 Posts
Same thing, different terminology.

It's an element type frost plug replacement heater.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Lawnboy said:
Same thing, different terminology.

It's an element type frost plug replacement heater.

Doh!

I am such a nit wit.

Gar

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Don't DIG at all, make the dealer route it out for u.

This should become part of the PDI.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dmax Tim said:
Don't DIG at all, make the dealer route it out for u.

This should become part of the PDI.
LOL... well the dealer is the one that told me I didn't have it at all! Tho I agree - it *should* be a part of the PDI, they should route it out the front bumper like a few of you already did.

It's not a big deal... it's supposed to warm up around here later this week, I'll pull it out then. If it were the *beginning* of winter, then yeah, I might have the dealer do it. But with them predicting 70s later this week, I'll need an excuse to hang out outside anyways! Right now, with it being in the upper 30s, I'm not real keen on the idea of standing in my driveway looking under the hood for a hidden plug.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts