Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
weres it at under hood any pics . wat am i looken for. would it hurt t keep plugged in 12 or more hours. thanks. bbrrrrr.:)

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Its zip tied near the passenger side valve cover.

GM says that you shouldnt use it if its above zero. Those that do, tend to get check engine lights. Supposedly the heater wont even engage, plugged in or not, above 0 degrees.

Most set a timer to warm it up about 4 hours before you start.

I'm 18 miles from the U.S./Canadian border and havent used it yet.

What kind of temps are you seeing?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
From the factory, mine was wrapped up near the passenger side frame rail (by the motor mount).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Unit453;1575958; said:
Its zip tied near the passenger side valve cover.

GM says that you shouldnt use it if its above zero. Those that do, tend to get check engine lights. Supposedly the heater wont even engage, plugged in or not, above 0 degrees.

Most set a timer to warm it up about 4 hours before you start.

I'm 18 miles from the U.S./Canadian border and havent used it yet.

What kind of temps are you seeing?

That must be the case becuse I had mine pluged in for about 5 hours and the temp was about 10 degrees and It didn't do a thing:think:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, mine also had two zip ties and was bundled up along a hose on the passenger side. The plug also has a cover. The cord, plug, and cover are all black. I had to look twice before locating it. I have plugged mine in for about the last month, every night. It has been below zero temperature and/or wind chill for the past week or so (St. Paul-MN). Good Luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Unit453;1575958; said:

This is happening mostly with the '06 LBZ. If you don't plug the heater in long enough, you will get a CEL (easily reset with a code reader). Usually, 4 hours is sufficient to prevent that from happening. I've plugged mine in for 3 hours with no problem, but only 1 hour will pop up a CEL.

GM's current fix, for those that take it in for repair, is to replace the heater cord with one that has a thermostat on it. This prevents the block heater from turning on when it is above 0. I'm not sure, but they may also be shipping new models with this cord.

The block heater is not necessary until it gets below 0. Many of us use it to have instant heat in the cab, and to reduce the warm-up period (which also helps reduce fuel consumption). I use the heater whenever it gets below 40 outside.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
I would rather have the old cord & just clear the code then. I want the truck to get the heat now. Why would you want one with a temp. gauge to start. If I am up in Canada border fishing & want to plug my truck in I want that cord working not waiting. Granted it is normally below zero up there. :)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I'm with Bill Austin. I plug mine in when it is below 30°F, not because it won't start without it but because it is so much easier on the engine. The little bit of electric is uses is worth not hearing the clang bang of an ice cold engine running. Getting heat sooner is nice too. I have a 6.5 'burb that makes a huge difference when plugged in. It has been plugged in around the clock for the past 3 days.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I'm one of those people who had the truck go stupid because of the temp it was plugged in at.

They replaced the cord, easy to tell if you have the one with timer. The original plug is like every other block heater, like a triangle plug. The new one has a round plug and the cap is round.

·
Registered
334 Posts
i drive up north to Canton NY a lot. ive never taken the diesel becuase im always afraid that when i come out to start it in the morning, mind you its usually way below 0, that the trucks not gunna start. be it i stay in a hotel, there isant anywhere to plug my truck in. will it start right up? or will it take a minute to crank over? or will it not start at all?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Plugged mine in for first time last night for 11 hrs -20 c -30c with windchill . Just thought what the heck ill try it anyway. It still took 5 mins for heat in the cab and the high idle was also on for 10 mins. But the glow pugs didn't come on :D and the engine sounded great when she fired. Alot easier starting and she purred like a kitten :D . Is that normal or should i have heat in the cab right away??
19000 km to date and no trouble.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's normal for me. I think the guys claiming "instant heat" must have some really mild winter temps.

·
Registered
976 Posts
BlackHawkTDI;1578781; said:
i drive up north to Canton NY a lot. ive never taken the diesel becuase im always afraid that when i come out to start it in the morning, mind you its usually way below 0, that the trucks not gunna start. be it i stay in a hotel, there isant anywhere to plug my truck in. will it start right up? or will it take a minute to crank over? or will it not start at all?
Should start fine.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
BlackHawkTDI;1578781; said:
Depending on what floor you are staying in and how far away you park, take along 250 feet of extension cord and then run it out the window. Close the window back up as much as you can and then plug the remaing crack with the curtains or towels. Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Is that 0 degrees F or C?

Ed

·
Registered
923 Posts

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I still havent plugged in mine yet. Got down to -14 up in these parts last night...

Thats Farenheit......

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Some cords will "work" no matter what temp out some have a "thermostatic" cord. Mine will work no matter what the time, Ive plugged mine in 32+ degrees and the guage registers heat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Used to plug mine in while it sat in the Garage at night while I lived in Ct. I just like the fact the glow plugs did come on and the heater was ready to warm me up.(yes I do have the heated seats). No check engine light here. Sometimes I would plug it in at the job site in Michigan or where ever while it was snowing in all types of wheather for only a couple hours right after I shuter off, no CEL, glow plugs never came on and she was warmed up. I drove her to Canada and the NorthEast a few times were it was COLD (below zero). Stayed at a hotel so no plugging in there she had no probs starting up, only issues I had was my anti freezing washing fluid freezing in the shooter on the wipers. that'll annoy you when you are following traffic and road dirt and salt is all over the window and all you can do is smear it around but thats another story. Then again I do have the 06' lly. I even plug it in out here in cali if I am going to leave early in the morning it was 40F last night and I haven't experienced any issues yet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
OK, lets recap one more time.

So far, the CEL light from the block heater only affects the '06 LBZ. The problem is a result of a large temperature mismatch between the sensors when the block heater is not plugged in long enough (at least 4 hours).

GM's fix for the problem is to install a heater cord with a thermostat that prevents the heater from coming on above 0, and to tell you not to use the heater above 0. Apparently, the computer ignores the temperature mismatch when it is below 0.

I am one of the many LBZ owners who have experienced the CEL problem. Once you know what it is, and what causes it, you discover it is not really a problem at all.

I use my heater whenever it gets below 40 outside. No, it is not necessary. I like the instant heat in the cab. I also believe it is much better for the engine to be warm when it starts. It also conserves a little fuel.

Yes, the DMAX will start when it is very cold without using the block heater. The advantage of using the block heater is it cuts way down on the idle time needed to get the engine up to its operating temp.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts