Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to pull my block heater out the other day as it's been 0 degrees here for severl weeks now... the darn cord is too short to even make it to the grill?!?!?! anyone else have this problem?? why would gm be so stupid as to make me open my hood every time i wanted to plug it in??? i think i can splice in a foot or so and get it where it belongs....

·
Registered
846 Posts
my cord is the same way. I'm going to buy a short extension cord and then run it down and zip tie it to the front right tow hook.

·
Registered
777 Posts
dieseloverkill;1573684; said:
went to pull my block heater out the other day as it's been 0 degrees here for severl weeks now... The darn cord is too short to even make it to the grill?!?!?! anyone else have this problem?? why would gm be so stupid as to make me open my hood every time i wanted to plug it in??? i think i can splice in a foot or so and get it where it belongs....
if you remove the inner fender, then cut the little piece of black tape at the top of the block heater cord and battery cable. Then slide the block heater cord down out of the loom ..... You will have enough to get out to the front of the truck !!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Look again & you will see that the cord is still blocked up. You can free it up another couple of feet- long enough to make it reach the tow hooks. Do a search for the cord & you will see pics, I'm sure!! Howard

·
Registered
239 Posts
Take the tape off the protective plastic that is over the cable, unclip the plastic thingy holding the cables in place, and pull the cord about 8" out of the protective plastic (easiest while lying under the truck). Then you can run it up to the front of the grill or wherever you want. Then just clip the cable/wires back into place. No idea why GM does that but it's not difficult to fix.

·
Registered
284 Posts
What Sulley said:agreed: .

No need to mess with the inner fender, you can get to it from on top and underneath (wear safety glasses as dirt and sand fall freely when working underneath!

Zip tie it to keep it in place and protect it from the inevitable premature departure (without unplugging it!)

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where is it???

Hey Folks,

I have been trying to loacate my heater cord for over a week and can't seem to find it. I have a 2004.5 LLY and need to know where to look for this cord. Any clues would be helpful. Thanks. :rolleyes:

2004.5 Chevy Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed
Dura-Max (LLY)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Stand on the right (passenger side)front tire (with hood up, HA J/K) look down between the air box and battery, between the engine and the other 2 items I just advised. Or follow the negative battery cable (I think it's the negative 1) from the battery down into the space between the engine and those other two items. The cord is taped up alongside the battery cable. It is not long enuff to run to the front of the truck so unhook the clip, should be grey, and take the black tape off the plastic sleeve that protects the battery cable and block heater cord. Then feed the block heater cord down (the protective sleeve is split down the side so you can pull the cord out) and route it to wherever you want. Zip tie it and then re-clip the protective sleeve and battery cable back up. You will need to pull the heater cord out atleast 6-8" to get it to the front of the truck. Sorry I have no pix but I think it has this info in the owners manual, I found it by mistake couple years back on the 03.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the same problem, another brilliant GM innovation, I used a short extension cord, but when the weather gets nicer, I'll fix it the right way. Love this web site...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts