Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seem to be common posts related to finding the block heater cord. When I recently relocated mine, I decided to take some pictures. This article will briefly describe how to find and relocate the block heater cord. This same material is covered in other posts, but I decided to reiterate it here with the pictures.

The Block Heater cord is stored (via cable ties) on the plastic tubing that carries the battery cables for the second battery, which is on the passenger side of the vehicle. If you don’t plan to relocate the wire, simply cut the cable ties. If you plan to relocate the cord, the easiest way to get to it is to remove the wheel-well cover for the front-right tire. First, I had to remove three wire support brackets (plastic) that were attached to the back side of the wheel well. You can easily remove them from within the engine compartment. There are several mounting plugs that must be removed to get at whell well cover out. Simply pull out the center pin of the plugs via the cap heads and they should come out easily. With that cover removed, you can see the right side of the engine (see first figure).

Remove the tape and plastic bracket that is clamped around the plastic tubing. Then, pull out enough heater cord to run the cable around the frame and out to the front tow hook.

To make a clean install, cut a small hole in the plastic tubing where the cable comes out (I just cut two slots and then cut out the square). Then, tape the tubing at the heater cord and tape the tubing back at the end around the battery cables. Cable tie (or tape) the heater wire to other plastic tubing in the area and reinstall. Reinstall the plastic mounting bracket for the tubing near the end.<SPAN

·
Registered
473 Posts
tundracamper,

Great pictures, I routed mine a little differnt, I have to open the hood to plug mine in. I am going to rout mine the way you did when it warms up here. Thanks for showing how to do it!!!!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
tundracamper

Good info thanks for contributing to The Diesel Place .... I am going to let this float here for a couple days and move this to a permanent home in DIY and useful articles for all members reference .....

Thanks, excellent work ....

Mac

·
Registered
747 Posts
Tundracamper,

Good info. This is exactly how I did mine. Was going to try to take pics and post them, but still haven't gotten around to trying the digicam.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Have never had the need to plug mine in (one of the benefits of living in the not so sunny south) so I ran it out to where it is stored near the passanger side head light. Thought about running it out the bottom but decided to try and keep it out of as much muck as possible.

Jim

·
Registered
141 Posts
tundracamper

Nice job, I was getting ready to change mine because of opening and closing the hood everytime I have to plug or unplug. Thanks for the pics and info

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Nice work, I was looking for a 3" heavy duty ext cord. I think I will have to take another look.

I am just woundering why it did not come from the factory this way?

·
Registered
490 Posts
NoWake200, go to any hardware store. They make short HD extension cords for 120 VAC home air conditioners.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Here is another twist on the relocation of the block heater plug in.

I added an extension to the factory plug just in front of the air cleaner.

Now relocated to the opening in the front bumper. I also added a pwr indicater so I know that I'am "pluged in".

Tucked away just behind the lip of the opening. Stay's nice and clean and easy to get at.

Just thought I'd share these with you. The only problem with this set up is if you use the winter cover on the bumper you wont have access to the plug.. I will be adding a flap with velcro on my cover shortly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran mine straight back from where it originally comes out, back around the 2nd battery and up and out and wire tied it to the antenna. the cord was perfect length and I dont have to open the hood and it is not down in the harsh elements of the road. works great for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts