Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my 99 suburban about a month ago. today i floored it from a stop and it sounded like a fan blade hitting something when i was moving and floored it there wasnt any sound what should i check
thanks
jason

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'd be checking for possible broken engine mount. Sound like your engine is lifting a bit and the fan may be hitting the schroud. Check to see if there is any indication of rub marks on the fan schroud.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant see any spots where the fan has hit the shroud. it ony does it when i punch it from a stop

·
Registered
163 Posts
If the fan is rubbing it will be up under the top of the schroud. I had a vehical that did this. Engine mount wasn't totally broke. It would just lift a little under heavy torque. Try opening the hood, put it in gear and hold the brake hard, and give it fuel. See if it makes the sound. Good to get someone to watch from the side.

Navek

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
look for shinny spot schroud

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will check it tomorrow thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the motor does move up alittle but it doesnt look like the blade is hitting and it sounds like metal on metal.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Can you video tape the sound it makes it would make this easier. Could possibly be bad turbo bearings, a bad harmonic balancer or crank pulley or a bad idler pulley, it could be many thigs.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Maybe? the trans. torque converter shield, it sits very close to the ring gear/flex plate. Mine was fine until I removed it for inspection, then every now and then it would kick up a terrible racket at just the right throttle. I had to adjust the shield to keep it from rubbing against the ring gear.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i will check it because i noticed the cover was spaced out with washers when i changed the oil. the check engine light just came on last night and now the truck has a surge to it when i take off

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
scaned the computer and had a p0236 code i will get a new sensor and replace it then see why it makes the noise

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just checked today and found that one of the bolts backed out of the converter. I pulled all the bolts out and put locktite on them and then put the inspection cover back on without the spacers and no more noise
thanks for all the info

1 - 13 of 13 Posts