Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the stocker aluminum wheels, but I'd love for Cheby to come out with some in black. Whats the best way to black the stocker alums? Powdercoat? I'd like something that's got a little shine to it; not really flat like gunblue.

What surface prep is required for powdercoat? Would powdercoat stand up well to mounting/unmounting tires, or would scratches show up pretty bad? Is there any way to REMOVE powdercoating in the future if I wanted to go back to aluminum?

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been looking around online and see maybe anodizing is a better option for aluminum, for salt water and scratch resitance; any oppinions on this?

·
Registered
262 Posts
well you might try...

a spray called 'Alumahyde', from 'Brownells' a company that sells gun parts... I've used it on aluminum gun parts and it withstands a lot of abuse...but, powdercoat is better,...then there is another product I used and it was a 'bake on' (my wife just didn't understand when I put gun parts in the oven...

these products are for aluminum and specific for gun parts, but I'm sure something similar would be availible 'in larger quanities' for wheels... a good place to start...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts