Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to remove the air intake for installing the T into the wastegate control line for my boost guage the other day and I never noticed before but what the heck purpose does that big black piece of plastic which connects to the intake (to the turbo) and does nothing obvious other than say "6.6 Turbodiesel" on the top?

I am wondering if this is some sort of noise muffler for the turbo perhaps. Is this why an AFE Stage-2 makes good turbo noise cause this is removed maybe? What if one were to come up with some kind of plug to plug the hole where this fits into the intake plastic. Would this make the turbo so you could actually hear it perhaps? Obviously one would have to very careful here since this is immediately pre-turbo and after the air filter.

Tim

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
You mailed it luvthesmell, that big black plastic "doohickey" is a silencer plenum for the inlet. Must have been some kind of harmonic or noise that GM is trying to avoid. Go ahead and plug yours up and let us know!
(OBTW, we don't have that on the 2001 trucks - just a hinged "lid" with the 6.6 Turbo logo on it.)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I plugged mine to see if there was any difference, and there really wasn't.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeh, what Minn-Kota said. I did the same a couple months after I got it. Didn't really notice any difference.

Steve

·
Registered
290 Posts
I wonder if anyone has thought about making a secondary air inlet through that location and just discarding that black thing. Of course, you would need an air filter there as well (please keep the worm can closed). Wouldn't that give our air hungry engines a little more?

Just a thought from the deep dark recesses of my mind (or maybe it came from inside the black thing)

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
So, do you need the plastic housing with the 6.6L logo or not? Seem that most aftermarket airintakes (ie K&N, AirRaid, VOLANT) dont have that on the truck when you install one of those new intake systems. To me, it looks like a hollow box with a tube connected to the stock intake tube. I havent removed mine yet since i am waiting for my VOLANT to come in from FedEx. Let me know.

LATER!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts