Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just done my first oil change at 3K miles. The oil out was black. Now after 300 miles,the oil on the dipstick is black. I'm using Rotella. Is this black oil normal for a diesel (I'm on my first diesel).

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
From my experience with other diesel yes.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Would you prefer the soot still be in the bottom of your pan?

Yes, it's normal. The EGR system makes it much worse.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You will notice black oil about one day after your oil change. Its a diesel.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
My LB7 (no EGR) never really turns the oil black.....Biodiesel may have an effect on that though.

The TDI on the other hand turns that oil black in 1k miles or less......but it is not a big deal. The new diesel oils are set up to handle it w/o issue. In fact in Europe they can run well past 20k OCI because of the high tech diesel oils theyve got over there. TDIclub does a lot of oil research.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 99 KW (c-12 cat) the oil will stay somewhat for 3000-5000 miles but not in my 06 d-max. I've also got a 92 KW with a series 60 detroit, that truck will make the oil black as coal after 500 miles, I've had the oil tested sever times to see if something was wrong, every test comes back normal.

ben

·
Registered
132 Posts
Its a comman effect.

Like vegasblj, why don't you do an analysis on the oil?

It will ease your mind, and later you will have a benchmark by which you can compare future oil samples from.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Jbird--300 miles seems to early for black for your DM.My Rotella T{DINO} 15-40 stays fairly golden till about 1K.I would pull a sample if I wereyou just to be safe.Now my old 2 stroke 6V53 Detroit would be black within 100 miles--it was to be expected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts