Diesel Place banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here's my update: first there was no BIOCLEEN in stock in San Angelo Texas. Anywhere. The OReilly's sold me the Powerservice Clear Diesel instead, and I put it in thinking it was BIOCLEEN. BIOCLEEN is supposed to be instock this AM as they ordered it after I found out thier mistake. SO, the Cleardiesel is in thier now and should be absorbing the water.
To clarify for some of the recommendations:
When tank imploded due to failed cap vent the tank was dropped, the orig sender and pickup bent back into shape and the tank straightened with a wooden dowel and hammer. I saw the inside, looked reall clean.
BUT: I researched the reason why my tank imploded and found that the vents on the caps do fail and not bleed in air as required on ocasion and cause the tank implosions. One of the workarounds I read here on DP was to just leave the O-ring off the cap, which I did. I wonder if this is what allowed in excessive moisture? I live in a fairly dry climate in central west Texas, yet we do have humidity in the mornings.
So yesterday I replaced the cap, after inspecting all the ones they sold, the cap now has a button on it, you can push and it opens the valve to vent air into the tank. I tested the cap by sucking on it and it popped the valve as well.
I will try the Biocleen today, draw samples from the SEPAR and see what happens. I can't drop the tank for a while for I topped it off with 42 gallons...
I'll report how it goes. I'm hoping I don't have to drop the tank obviously, but I will have my mech do it if necessary.
Thanks for all the help.
Best
Mark

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,825 Posts
The bad fuel may be coming from the station? Is this happened after you fill up?

Truck stop should have those biocides?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Fairly strange, I could not find diesel biocide anywhere. Even Freightliner dealer had none. So I picked up the Bio Cleen ($148.00 for 80 oz's...) one oz treats 30 gallons. I just hope as I've stated I can get by with filter changes after this and don't have to drop the tank. My setup with the SEPAR spindown marine filter between the tank and walbro lift pump may save me from this, I hope.
I'll keep posting until the issue is done.
Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Drop Tank?

I forgot to add that after I had my bug problem, I have poisoned my fuel with Biocide ever since. It's cheap insurance and I have never had another problem.
Did you have to drop your tank and clean it? Or did you just change filters and keep adding biocide?

My tank is topped at 42 gallons currently...

Thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
Biocide all you want if you have a water issue, you are going to have bacteria issue.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Exactly Wally.. I give up..
Tommygunner suggested dropping the tank 1-18

Didnt read a word of my last post, its either a fuel strainer or in-line filter, not both. Combined they are too restrictive. Chems are good at stopping, do little to remove the sludge and s'it..
Frankly you can stick 100 filters between the lift pump and fuel tank, how does any of that improve fuel flow ie fix a clogged fuel strainer?

The strainer is little more than a screen.
The lift pump is an overglorified bilge pump designed to pump jello'd fuel to the FFM.
The Fuel Filter Manager provides the warm up, water seperation and 2 stage filtration.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Heavychevy I did hear you. I just don't have the time or resources to easily drop my tank, long story. Plus I just topped it to 42 gallons. I probably need to explain better the filter I installed between the tank and the walbro lift pump, read about it here:

SWK 2000 5 50 Single, Metal Bowl

It's a spin-down filter with an element in the top which feeds the Walbro LP. Very large spin-down chamber in comparison to the OEM Racor. I think it is grabbing most of the crap presently. I agree with you, droppng the tank is the best solution, since I cant currently I'm asking a few questions for the brain trust here.
If this problem -cannot- be resolved without dropping the tank, please tell me. I have heard that dropping the tank is the best solution, which made me think I might not have to. As well I installed an costly marine diesel fuel/water separator. Maybe this is the difference.
BIOCLEEN is now in the tank with the Clean Diesel. I'm driving the Burb....
I appreciate you guys bearing with me. I just moved recently, my trusted mech is 90 miles away....
Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Did you have to drop your tank and clean it? Or did you just change filters and keep adding biocide?

My tank is topped at 42 gallons currently...

Thanks
No, I did not drop the tank but it doesn't appear my problem was as bad as yours. I understand about not wanting to drop the tank unless necessary because I tried to avoid it when the coating was coming off the inside of my tank. You'll know when enough is enough or if you can get by with filter changes. Every case is different.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I checked filters last night. My racor filter under the hood was changed about 3 weeks ago and looks brand new. The SEPAR filter/separator seems to be doing it's job and is so far catching all the crud, the Biocleen is in and appears from sampling to have got the bugs on the run. I'll try and post pics.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Nice filter system, I would of liked to see an "H" prefix at the end although I dont live in TX either. Helped to installed a simular (larger) twin (switchable) set up much like that on my mothers '98 Regal 3880 couple summers back..

Unless I am mistaken. Although intended for suction side applications, its not intended to be used in combination with other filters, or a restricted (clogged) fuel strainer..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
HeavyChevy55,
I don't know if my SEPAR filter is designed to be installed in combo with the another filter. I was once a US naval officer and worked in engineering for a while in an LST. It was amazing how many filters/strainers they used to provide polished fuel for the 6 diesel main engines and 4 generators. I followed my old teaching here. You may be right, I may be taxing the Walbro LP. I have had the setup now for about 2 years with no problems. I was thinking the Walbro LP was considerably 'heartier' than the OEM and would handle the additional restriction on the fuel pressure. I may remove the Racor long term, I just don't know how to terminate that useless water sensor (I've never had the sensor go off...) from the bottom of the Racor.
This SEPAR filter has saved me so far in this algae attack. Truck runs great. Racor element continuing to look as new and no large globs of algae in the SEPAR backflush samples, just small droplets.
Thanks to all for all the help.
Best

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
500 miles of driving on biocleen, clear diesel and now seafoam and all is well. Still collecting dead algae in the Separ fuel/water separator. No restrictions so far. I think I have made it through without a tank drop and clean due to my additional fuel filter.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I had never heard of Biocleen before.
Best

Mark

·
Super Moderator Eco-Logistical
4,271 Posts
Just a little info as I have gathered it.

The dead critters will show in the filter as a gooey slime...

The black junk is diesel fuel particulate "asphalt" that is left from the bacterial acting on the fuel.,power service diesel clear and starton tank clean diesel service are excellent at recombining the flecks back into the diesel...

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
The bad fuel may be coming from the station? Is this happened after you fill up?
That's what I would lean towards as well. Since diesel is so much cheaper south of Canada I picked up some new jerry cans. I noticed black flecks on the bottom of the new jerry cans. Don't know exactly when it happened. Could have been the first fill or 10th. I just happened to look in the jerry can one day. Those jerry cans have only ever been filled at the station. I have never taken any fuel out of my truck so the flecks didn't come from me or my truck.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Switching Station

I am only buying from Sam's Club now, exclusively. If I have another problem I will confront the management. For now, I am fairly happy with my decison to install the SEPAR fuel water separator between the tank and the LP.
Saved my bacon.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
About 1,500 miles and sampling my SEPAR fuel water separator and grabbing considerable junk. About 1 to 1.5 cups of algae corpses and black flecks. The corpses are rapidly diminshing. After the 1.5 to 2 cups 'bottom blow' of spin-down separator, the diesel starts running very pretty clean. Not sure how long I'll have to do this. I still run the maintenance dose of biocleen. I ran Cleer Diesel and then 3 cans of Seafoam, so there shouldn't be any water. The Racor filter element as as new throughout. I guess I can't say enough about the Separ fuel water separator?
I'll keep posting as time progresses.

Reactions: Freddyack
21 - 36 of 36 Posts