Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a the edge with att my ? is when i go down the road i look in my rear view and see the truck is blowen black smoke out and i watch and it some time is blue iam only driven about 65 to 70 and the smoke does not stop till i let off but it is stedy smoke i have the edge on 3 is that to much till i get a trann also i have no cat or muff could be why ty for any help i hope its not the injector?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
dont get me wrong i love that black love coming out but does not seem right

·
Registered
556 Posts
Ok, I'm gonna try on this one...

What you are describing is possibly bad injectors. Over the past few months my father's 04.5 LLY was doing much the same thing as you are describing. His truck would smoke at idle (like while at a stoplight) and would smoke heavily when really into the throttle. His truck would also smoke while driving down the highway (65-70mph), I'm not describing highway clearing smoke but you could see it in the mirrors if you looked closely.

The dealership replaced all eight of his injectors under a “special policy”, which I've not been able to find any additional information on... yet (normally only the LB7 injectors are replaced all eight at a time, the normal policy that I'm aware of for the LLY is one injector at a time based on balance rates). Since having all eight injectors replaced the truck has run flawlessly.

The other description you provide, of blue smoke is an indicator of an injector. On a diesel black smoke = over fueling, not necessarily a problem. White smoke = cold engine and possible injector problems (i.e. Cold hole due to excessive fuel). Blue smoke = bad! (i.e. Injector or oil).

Only real diagnostic that I can suggest is remove the Edge and see if you can duplicate what you've described. If you can you may want to take the vehicle in for a checkup, possibly the latest flash may correct what you are describing. If you cannot duplicate the issue you described with the Edge removed contact Edge, see if they can help (their customer service reputation is excellent!).

Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Tuners, like the edge, get the power increases by adding fuel. This added fuel will almost always result in more Black smoke, especially if you have not CAT or muffler to soak some of it up. The white/blue smoke is usually a sign of bad injectors(s). Mine started some white smoke and sure enough injector #2 was fouling up. As stated above turn off the edge and see what happens, if it still got white smoke you need to get your balance rates checked.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine was smoking black on hard accel (bone stock except CAI). Took it to the stealer for this and several other problems and all they could do was say all my problems were due to the CAI and a Bypass oil filter I added. I told them that was bull**** and left. Funny thing though, my truck doesn't smoke any more. I think they reflashed it, but the workorder doesn;/t show it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
should i get mine flashed? what the adantage of that ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts