Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a bulk plant near where I work (Boulder) that sells this retail both 100% and a blend of 20%. Manager says it has much better lubricity and a lot less smoke and smell. A little more expensive. He mentioned a customer with a PSD with 500rwhp that just loves this because it gives him more power.

Ok, guys. Weigh in. What do you know, think about this stuff? Mileage? Engine life? Clean burning? Economy?

BTW, the manages said he expected to see a lot more of this around here next year (farmers growing a lot more soybeans and a crusher plant in the works).

·
Registered
629 Posts
I was curious about this just the other day. There is a
bunch of posts about this on RV.net
(http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/active.cfm)
Use the search feature...

For direct info check out www.biodiesel.com

I have no particular input, but it comes out the tailpipe
smelling like french fries, which I'd like better than
the regular diesel smell!

Paul.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The link below takes you to a site that provides lots of info including locations where you can buy it. Click on Biodiesel Basics for a description of the fuel.

http://www.biodiesel.org/

Tom

·
Registered
909 Posts
At least one well respected vendor here strongly advises against running biodiesel. Apparently bio has more water content.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/distributors/showstate.asp?st=CO

For those of you in colorado, here is a list of dealers. I got luck!! one where I work and one where I live!! I will I read a flier from Bartkus about BlueSun.com one of the suppliers that sells in this area. It sounds very interesting.

I would expect the added lubricity would do a lot for the longevity of the engine. I wonder if water has any worse impact than it does to #2? What about contaminates? Need special filters?

Other than the additional cost, I think I might get sick of too much "french fry" smell!!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ray403Dmax said:
At least one well respected vendor here strongly advises against running biodiesel. Apparently bio has more water content.

Which one? I'd like to discuss it. Send me a PM if you prefer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The Diesel Supplement for my 2004 (page 5-3) says up to B5 is OK. Anything more and you're on your own.

Interesting that GM says you can run Straight #1 Diesel below 0 deg F. Your milage may vary.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've researched biodiesel extensively. It is superior to diesel or kerosene. The only disadvantage is it will clean out your dirty fuel tank, so be sure to change your fuel filters often until the tank is clean. After that you will need to change the filters less often.

Biodiesel can rot out rubber, so you need the right sort of replacement parts. I think the synthetic rubber material is called vitron. All the european diesel engined auto's have this done. I'm not sure about the Duramax or other engines in American made trucks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been running Certified Soybean Biodiesel as B20, B5, and B2 in my duramax blended with premium diesel. I like the B2 the best or should I say my truck likes the B2 the best, best milage and power, and runs real smooth. I use FPPF TP/+ along with each tank full. I have concerns with Biodiesel and additives as additives were designed for diesel and not biodiesel. To this date I have not been able to get this question answered. Also beware Biodiesel does have a higher H2O content in PPM. If using more than the B5 I would recommend changing the fuel filter first. Make sure your biodiesel is from 100% virgin soybean supply and certified, it is the only safe one IMHO. It is extremely hard to find.

Engineer Bill

·
Registered
138 Posts
does anyone know off hand of a source in the mid-atlantic?

~thanks

·
Registered
473 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ray403Dmax said:

Not true. It water separates easily from biodiesel. This is not an issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts