Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading articles on Biodiesel including the one in this months issue of DP Mag. I am really getting geared into the idea of brewing my own biodiesel useing home kits that I have seen for $3000. There are not any biodiesel pumps in my local area anywhere. Is it safe to try this fuel on a 06 LLY and any idea about waranty violations. If I get serious enough I will contact my dealer and ask but I think I know the answer I'll hear from them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am not sure it is as easy as it all sounds.
I checked with a grocery store that uses oil to cook food and a local donut shop and they both have services that take their oil and replace it with new and were not interested in giving it to me.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live near many restaurants, I will check for myself. I kinda of thought that getting it for free from restaurants was easier said than done. I would assume that if this ever caught on, you would be buying used oil from them instead of for free. Supply and demand once again. I wonder what they do with the oil after thay pick it up?

·
Registered
57 Posts
as far as safe to use in your 06.

i'm thinking they (auto makers) are required to make trucks compatible with at least a blend. I could be way off, I don't hink so.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Matt I thought you had a LBZ , guess not . You have gad zillion restaurants up by your way , you would think some would give used cooking oil away just to unload it. Let me know how you make out. ;)

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
You would be suprised how much there is still for the taking.

I have acually had people ask me to take their oils. OK.

Build a relationship with the target....er....restaurant, and go from there.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Woody,
I have an 06 LLY. Missed the LBZ by a few months!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
A good line is "Hello, I'm with RLK Services and we offer a free waste cooking oil recycling service. About how much waste oil would you say you generate every week?"

I was contemplating such a system for whem I'm able (live in a condo now, so no go, but when I buy a house it will be a consideration) and at $4k for one of the premium systems with water wash, assuming #2 stays around $2.90, it would take about 32,000 miles to break even, or a year for me.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I have been reading articles on Biodiesel including the one in this months issue of DP Mag. I am really getting geared into the idea of brewing my own biodiesel useing home kits that I have seen for $3000. There are not any biodiesel pumps in my local area anywhere. Is it safe to try this fuel on a 06 LLY and any idea about waranty violations. If I get serious enough I will contact my dealer and ask but I think I know the answer I'll hear from them.
General Motors says in the 2006 Duramax Owners Manual that the Maximum they recommend is B5 (5% Bio). I don't know what would happen if you have injector troubles and they find a greater percentage of bio in the fuel.

·
Registered
710 Posts
General Motors says in the 2006 Duramax Owners Manual that the Maximum they recommend is B5 (5% Bio). I don't know what would happen if you have injector troubles and they find a greater percentage of bio in the fuel.
....and that is B5 that meets ASTM specifications. NOT cooking oils! :badidea:

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
In my town the school districts recently started running 100% bio in all the school busses. They aren't exactly LBZ's (International's to be exact) but it says something if hundreds of busses start running 100% bio. I guess the bus company got smart and decided to "help" the schools by disposing of thier cafeteria oils for them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a friend that's been making bio for about a year now. I've been running b20 in it since I got it. Runs great.

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
I'd say go for it. Injectors are cheap and you only have eight if it screws up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I read somewhere were the new ( 2006 ) LLY / LBZ can run B20 without issues. The link below says "The Duramax 6600 is also compatible with B20 biodiesel fuel, GM noted." but you know as well as I do if you take it in for warranty work and tell them you are running any (b5, b20 , b100 ) form of bio your warrnany is void.

http://fleetowner.com/equipment/nutsbolts/fleet_gm_releases_new/

Were I live at in Ohio there is a bio-diesel pumping station not far from my house. They sell B20 direct from the pump ( 2.64 a gallon ) and you can order any blend as long as you order 150 gallons. I thought about running B20 because of the added lubricity properties, but for .20 cents a gallon less I'll stick with dino diesel and power service and my warranty.

Scott

·
Registered
468 Posts
Is it safe to try this fuel on a 06 LLY
:eek: Not sure I'd want that witches brew in my LBZ? -:t

Considering that there's not a significant price break and sometimes a price premium, availability is scarce, and brewing your own is expensive and a PITA, why would you want to use it?

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
:eek: Not sure I'd want that witches brew in my LBZ? -:t
There are many people home brewing......several here running B100 or a heavy blend in their Duramaxes. Do a little research.

I would be more inclined to trust a homebrew over some of the stuff Ive seen commercially any day. It is not rocket science.

Considering that there's not a significant price break and sometimes a price premium, availability is scarce, and brewing your own is expensive and a PITA, why would you want to use it?
Brewing your own can be one of the best investments you can make. It is typical to be able to make your own fuel for less than $1 / g. That will significantly speed up the pay off that you thought you were getting when you opted for the $5000 diesel option in your truck. Because right now, assuming 20% better fuel economy and a 30 cent price difference between gas and diesel, the break even point is well past 200k miles.

Biodiesel is the best fuel you can run.....better lubricity, better cetane, better emissions, and the list goes on.

PM RonJT, a buddy of his is running at least B20 in a new LBZ.

And stop worrying about the warranty. Run a good fuel, and dont worry. Fill er up with diesel if you think youve got a concern. No big deal.

Ive been on B80 for a good 10k miles, nothing but smiles.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
A good line is "Hello, I'm with RLK Services and we offer a free waste cooking oil recycling service. About how much waste oil would you say you generate every week?"

I was contemplating such a system for whem I'm able (live in a condo now, so no go, but when I buy a house it will be a consideration) and at $4k for one of the premium systems with water wash, assuming #2 stays around $2.90, it would take about 32,000 miles to break even, or a year for me.
Good idear.....

Even better is to look elsewhere (ok, look to Deadeye) and buy his system.

With a little bit of Yankee ingenuity, you can make your own system for less than a grand. Seriously. localB100.com, IIRC.

So assuming it would take 32k miles to pay off a $4k kit, it would take 64k miles to pay off a $4k kit AND the diesel engine option (that no longer breaks even in its standard lifetime).......

OK!

·
Registered
468 Posts
So if I brew my own, and I hook up my fifth wheel for a 5,000 mile round trip, and if I can get an average of 10 mpg towing, I'll only need to haul ~500 gallons with me to complete the trip.

Considering it weighs a little under 7# per gallon I'd only have to haul an extra 3500# with my rig. Not sure where I'd put the 500 gallon container but it might fit on the roof of the fifth wheel. Might hang it on the front bumper of the truck, or install saddle tanks and weld them to the side of the truck.

Since I'm getting this fuel for only $1 a gallon I'll be saving over $750 on this trip which should about cover the tank, the welding job to put it on, and leave me tons of extra money to help offset my brewing expenses and brewing equipment investment.

Yep, bio-diesel is the best stuff since sliced bread! I think you all should be using it. :grd:

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
So if I brew my own, and I hook up my fifth wheel for a 5,000 mile round trip...
Since I'm getting this fuel for only $1 a gallon...
How is it that you are getting "fuel for only $1 a gallon" ?

Does all of you driving consist of 5,000 mile round trips, or do you ever stay closer to home?

·
Registered
468 Posts
How is it that you are getting "fuel for only $1 a gallon" ?

Does all of you driving consist of 5,000 mile round trips, or do you ever stay closer to home?
I don't pay $1 per gallon, I was quoting "mannytranny" on what he was saying it costs to brew bio-diesel. I currently pay $2.459 for #2 diesel.
There are many people home brewing...... (snip) ....It is typical to be able to make your own fuel for less than $1 / g.
Most of my trips with the truck are extended, that's what I bought it for. We went to Alaska and traveled 17,200 miles round trip, Yellowstone was around 7,000, some of our shorter trips may be a couple thousand miles. Occasionally we go on shorter trips but that mileage wouldn't add up to much.

I have a Yukon and a Jeep Wrangler that I use for running around in.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts