Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to my buddy again today about biodiesel and he says we can run it in our duramax but that we should pre filter the heck out of it!

IS ANYBODY running biodiesel in there duramax?

I think we will be hereing alot more about biodiesel in the near future!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Gradyghost

I am currently running B5 Biodiesel, which is 5% soybean oil and 95% diesel surpreme. I have been using it for about two months and it has a cetane of 50-52. I spoke to the supplier and he will be reducing to B2 for the winter months. I am paying about $0.04 more per gallon. Advantages of soy Biodiesel is it has one heck of a lubricity increase. I have been running it in my ford tractor for two years. (using off road fuel).

Engineer Bill

·
Registered
490 Posts
Bill, who is your supplier? I am on the other side of Cleveland.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Pick

Midwood, it is sold at the pump for a $1.50 today. As B5 (5% soy bean oil and 95% diesel surpreme). It is located on the south side of Bowling Green, OH. This is a grain elevator and is also a supplier of fuel for the area farmers and businesses. Pump #5 is the biodiesel pump and #6 & $7 are diesel supreme.

Engineer Bill

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do you know if the rubber fittings on the Duramax need to be changed? I want to run 100% biodiesel in my Duramax.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I am slowly starting to get my info together for my new site on biodiesel. I have made my own for years. I run it in my heaters, my lanterns for camping, in generators, and i run it in my Duramax. I have seen no side effects from running B20 or B100 for more than 50000 mi. I also ran strait used veggie oil in my old 96 Dodge Cummins for more than 50000 mi. I would start it on regular diesel, and when the coolant heated tank with filtered strait used cooking was hot enough I would switch the tank over ( in cab control ). And about 7 to 10 miles befor I stoped I would switch it back over to regular diesel to purge the system. That Dodge was a great diesel, and my Duramax had some big shoes to fill when I replaced it with it, and it's done it and then some. My Duramax also frequents Mexico, where I enjoy spending time with my wifes family (love those cinnamon girls). I have been using there diesel fuel as well with no ill side effects. This summer at Diesel Fest in Colorado (July 25), I will be Demonstrating the power that can be made using Biodiesel. I will be with Clint Cannon of ATS Diesel. Our goal is to help promote clean burning super diesels of the future. Sorry for such a long post, but there is so much more to tell. My web site that I am building is WWW.GOBIODIESELPOWER.COM

·
Registered
693 Posts
Night_Sailor said:
Do you know if the rubber fittings on the Duramax need to be changed? I want to run 100% biodiesel in my Duramax.

From what I understand, the Duramax (and other newer diesels) use viton o-rings. You can do a search on "viton" and "biodiesel" to find information on their compatibility.

- jeff

·
Registered
27 Posts
I run b100 in my duramax and have had no problems. I filter it with water and 5 mivron tank filters before addint to the truck. also run it in a tractor and two other vechicles Viton is compatable with bio diesel

wally b

1 - 9 of 9 Posts