Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Did Mike McGarry say what was included in the Special Equipment package for B20?

·
Registered
174 Posts
It would be very interesting to see what GM considers necessary to burn B20. Some here run B20, and greater, with no recognized negative affects. But I wonder how GM is testing to elevate potential bio issues early or what area they are focusing their attention the most.

Andy

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think it is just a marketing thing. I run B20 with no problems for almost 20K miles. A diesel doesn't know it is burning (vegetable oil, trans fluid, oil, #2, home heating oil, Biodiesel). I don't burn any of these other things, but I know they would work. I think the problem comes when you burn #2 and then switch to bio. It tends to clog things up by removing all the sludge and buildup in the tank as bio is an excellent solvent.

Tim

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
To me this is more of a standards/warranty issue.

Gm cannot certify B20 unless there is some sort of agreed upon standard for the fuel. I have heard from a GM engineer on one of the biodiesel forums that GM had already run tests on B20 on the Med duty trucks without problems. No mentioned what the bio was from or what the tests were.

Most people on this forum are pretty knowlegeble and know that good biodiesel will not harm the truck and that it cannot be run in cold temperatures.

I think GM is going to have guidelines on the fuel along with the fuel standards before accepting warranty repairs on trucks running the fuel.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have been running B-20 for 15k with no problems.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ASTM spec biodiesel runs just like diesel! Even needs cold weather additives just like diesel.

We make and sell biodiesel.

www.biodieselpa.com

·
Registered
174 Posts
RonJT;1600960; said:
To me this is more of a standards/warranty issue.

Gm cannot certify B20 unless there is some sort of agreed upon standard for the fuel...
That's my curiosity; is documented/controlled fuel standards all that GM considers critical to offering support of bio?

Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts