Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed Kennedy supplied Bilstiens on my 03 GMC tonight and took a short ride. Very noticeable difference even though OEM shocks had only 8K on them. Did find a small oil leak in the right rear shock but not enough to make a difference. There's a big difference between single and and double action shocks. Remmember back in the late 40's when Plymouths rode so much better than Chev's and I think it was attributed to the shocks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Bill...would you say that the ride is just as good as factory shocks, or is it more firm? I'm one of few that likes the factory ride, and would like to change shocks to get rid of some of the 'bounciness'. I'd really not like to have it ride stiffer than it does now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
In mine, I might call it "firmer", but in "the best way" if that makes sense. It eliminated the shudder that I have when going over speed bumps and the like. Basic ride just seems "firmer" but "better". Not harsh at all, and I'm so glad to be rid of that shudder... Got mine from Kennedy too.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roegs said:
Bill...would you say that the ride is just as good as factory shocks, or is it more firm? I'm one of few that likes the factory ride, and would like to change shocks to get rid of some of the 'bounciness'. I'd really not like to have it ride stiffer than it does now.

They are more firm and give me the feeling that the truck is in contact with the road at all times. I'm happy that I made the investment even though my wife isn't.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I too am thinking of changing my shocks out. I do mostly interstate driving and I hate the way the truck rides on rough higways, or cement ones. There is a shudder through the whole truck whenever I hit a bump. It feels like the center of the truck is going up and down, kinda like a long flat bed semi trailer does when it is loaded in the center.

I know it is a truck, but I don't always carry a heavy load, and certainly don't feel like throwing 400 lbs of salt in the back for road trips to keep the wife content.

I was considering only replacing the rear shocks with Bilsteins, any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
233 Posts
andrewfessler

Go with Bilsteins on all four corners, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Roegs said:

You will absolutely LOVE
the Bilsteins
. I hated the front end bouncing all the time, especially on concrete freeways. Now smooth as silk and handling is substantially improved

·
Registered
29 Posts
Installed Bilsteins, best thing I have done except for the Racor filter from Greg. Did a whirlwind trip to Eastern PA ( Allentown are ) to pickup a e-bay aquired trailer. It rode better than it has in 15k miles ,has 22k on it now, going out and coming back with the trailer. Of course I like mine because it is a truck and it gets used as a truck and as a regular ride also.

Doug

·
Registered
24 Posts
andrewfessler said:
I too am thinking of changing my shocks out. I do mostly interstate driving and I hate the way the truck rides on rough higways, or cement ones. There is a shudder through the whole truck whenever I hit a bump. It feels like the center of the truck is going up and down, kinda like a long flat bed semi trailer does when it is loaded in the center.

I had the same shudder with the oem shocks and thought it was my two piece driveline. I installed Bilsteins from Kennedy and the shudder. The ride is firmer, taking a speed bump too fast draws a comment from the right seat. I have not driven on a freeway that resulted in the rocking horse motion so I do not know if that has been eliminated.

One of the front oems had a leak and had lost it gas pressure after 33K miles.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bilsteins get a definate A+ from me. Even with my truck being lifted. I love them. I don't have all of that floaty bouncing in the front, That could get so bad that it would make my foot hit the pedal and accelerate and decelerate. It's just a smooth firm ride now. it's great on the interstate and around town.

-Chad-

·
Registered
307 Posts
I was so happy with my Bilsteins that I got a set for my son's truck too. No waiting for backorders at all when I got mine at ProAm Auto. Good bunch of guys.

$259.00 delivered.

http://www.proamauto.com

Phone: 1.800.847.5712

1 - 11 of 11 Posts